Stonewashed finish on Pioneer 2

stjames

Sebenzanista
On the Carnivour you are using a stonewashed finish. On the new website it states that the Pioneer 2 is offered with a satin finish. Are there plans to use the stonewashed finish on the Pioneer?

I also noticed that in the image on the site seen here http://www.rekat.com/images/REK-P-CP.jpg looks an awful lot like the stonewashed finish on the Carnivour. Curios.

------------------
James

stjames
Wow you people don't miss a thing. We are using the Stonewashed finish on all of our uncoated blades.Our testing as meager as it mat be shows not only does it subdue the glint but offers two to three times the rust resistance. Reason it closes off the steel and actualy work hardens the surface

Bob Taylor

------------------
Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints and escaping.

The stonewashed finish ROCKS! (pun?
wink.gif
) I hope that everyone starts doing this; a tribute to REKAT!

------------------
Work hard, play hard, live long.
Outlaw_Dogboy

Yup, stonewashed finishes rock
wink.gif

Reeves and REKAT are truly pioneers in both beautiful and use-friendly blades.
REKAT's ATS-34 "behaves" just like Reeve's BG-42. Gofigure ?
Bill

Thanks for the good news, Bob.

------------------
James

IMHO, in the stonewashed finish, we are getting a look at the future of blade technology.I have both the Pioneer II and Carnivour, and fully believe that other manufacturers will soon be coming out with their own brands of "stonewashing" (of course,there's only ONE original!).

------------------
"To grow older is inevitable.To grow UP is optional."

I agree that more manufacturers are going to start using the stonewashed finish first made popular by Chris Reeve Knives' Sebenza. It is a great finish, tough and attractive.

You were talking about Chris when you mentioned the "one and only", right
wink.gif

------------------
James

[This message has been edited by stjames (edited 10 August 1999).]

I hope so!
I'm sick and tired of "bead blasted" ATS-34.
IMO, It's a rust/stain magnet and really cheap for the manufacturers to promote as "tactical".
You can use the stonewashed finish and not have to worry about scratches, stains and rust.
Good stuff. Way to go Reeves and REKAT!!!!!
Bill

Yes, stjames, I was referring to Reeves as "the original".I only wish I had one of his! Is the stonewash identical to that used by REKAT? Maybe one day soon I'll know firsthand.It would be very interesting to know just how the finish is obtained.

------------------
"To grow older is inevitable.To grow UP is optional."

The stonewash finish is achieved by tumbling the blades in an aggressive stone media - i.e. we place the blades in a tumbling machine, filled with ceramic stones and liquid. The tub vibrates and the blades and stones move against one another. The result is that there are tiny scratches in every possible direction that are, in essence, a polish. A satin finish is different only in as much as the scratch marks are finer and they all go in the same direction.

Anne Reeve, Chris Reeve Knives, February 09, 1999

The stonewashed finish on the Sebenza seems a little finer. It doesn't have any of the long scratches that the REKAT Carnivour's finish has. Long is relative, of course, as none are more than 1/4" at most, and those are few and far between.

Without a doubt the best choice as far as finishes go. With the new finish and re-designed lock a Pioneer II is on my buy list.

Once I decide on a bladeshape
smile.gif

------------------
James

[This message has been edited by stjames (edited 11 August 1999).]

Back