Stonewashed my Gemini....

I had my Gemini apart yesterday so I figured I'd refinish the handles since they were showing a few snail trails anyway. And I also slightly notched out the scale to allow easier lockbar disengagement....that had always been one of my gripes was that there was no cutout.

For those who have wondered what this would look like:

ndNWP7D.jpg

f6JSG19.jpg

UKDbgkP.jpg

Last edited:
What material did you use and how did you do it if you don't mind me asking?

For media I used about 1.5 lbs of the rocks pictured. No idea what kind they are....

First I assembled the knife without the blade rather than just putting the scales in separately. This is to prevent the inside surfaces of the scales from being worn down at all so the tolerances are maintained. Then I wedge a small piece of wood where the blade would go to lift the lockbar so it's level with the rest of the scale. Then I tumble it in my rotary tumbler for a few hours until the desired finish is achieved. Because the handle is assemble the protruding hardware then needs to be refinished so I put each piece in a drill chuck and spin it with some fine sandpaper to refinish.

Last edited:
Knife looks gorgeous, Spinny! Rocks look like chert to me. I think I see conchoidal fracture on a few. The hardness would make sense for the application.

For whatever reason this knife just hasn't been getting the pocket time it deserves. I did take Hackenslash's suggestion and did the clip, too. I think I haven't carried it because it's a tad heavier than I'd prefer for a knife this size. I would LOVE to see this knife done with a full G10 or CF presentation side scale, ala Lionsteel TRE. I'm kind of sad to have listed it for sale, but nevertheless: Godspeed, Gemini!

wow guys, the stonewashed and the nuked looks great. the cut out is quite neat, but I doubt I'd do that myself. I'll have to stone wash the scales assembled as you did. wow just wow!

Back