Stonewashing

So I picked up a vibratory tumbler and some ceramic media, and figured I'd have some fun with my Reate Franken-Hills. I thought you guys might like to see the process and results.

I started out by giving the flats a hand rubbed satin finish, and then sticking the handles in the tumbler for 1 hour.
1JZbKj1.jpg

You can see the finish is a little rough, so I figured I'd polish it gently to brighten the finish a little. Here I have the scales side by side, one rough and one with a bit of a glossy finish.
yvMBepz.jpg

The glossy finish caught the light much better, and feels smoother as well. Overall, I'm very happy with the finished product (but not that happy with my photography skills :p)
QXQp0Cy.jpg

0HVpwCO.jpg

I do have a question for the more experienced stonewashers out there! My favorite stonewash to date is Rick Hinderer's. I have a side by side here with my full ti Hinderer - does anyone have suggestions for media/process changes that might yield this type of finish? You can see the Hills has a slightly darker, more uniform appearance.
3IduJp1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I would assume a larger media and maybe a more aggressive tumble would produce a more "defined" stone wash look

I would assume a larger media and maybe a more aggressive tumble would produce a more "defined" stone wash look

From what I've read, it sounds like changing the shape and formulation of the media will have more of an impact than going bigger. I have not been able to find any tumbling media larger than I currently have, but I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Back