"Storm" whistle from Wal-Mart...

x39

I picked up a "Storm" brand whistle at Wal-Mart the other day for a couple of bucks. I've been buying various whistles trying to find a good one, and the packaging on this one said they are real loud. Well, got it home, unpacked the thing, stepped outside and gave the thing a good hard toot. Holy cow, my ears were actually ringing after blowing this whistle, it's THAT LOUD! Scared the hell out of my wife, and was instructed not to do that anymore. As a bonus, it is blaze orange. I highly recommend this whistle as an emergency signalling device.

I will second that!

I bought one while in high school. I decided to try it while still in the Wal-mart parking lot, of course I was being egged on by my friends. I blew, my ears rang, and the people in the parking lot hit the deck like it was an incomming missile! I felt bad that I did it afterwards, but it was sort of funny.

The Storm whistle is so loud, that even when plugging your ears with index fingers it still resonates in your head to the point of slight discomfort. Amazing

Originally posted by lifter4Him
So which dept. at Walmart would I find these in?

Thanks,
Dave
Sporting goods, mine was on an aisle end display in a blister pack.

I bought some "Fox 40s" back when I was trainning as a rafting guide. They were plenty loud, and the "pealess" design was better for wet environments.

How would the "Storm" compare with these? Is it a "pea" or "pea-free" design? I gather that the "Storm" is louder, but by how much?

Brigade Q has the 'Wind Storm" not the "Storm" same company but 3db quiter and I think a BIT smaller.

I have both and the question of 'How much louder?" depends on who you ask. The "Storm" brand of whistles has most of its energy at a lower pitch level thus it seems MUCH louder to most folks over 45. I would bet that my father who had NO hearing above 4k whould not have heard any sound from the FOX even if it was blown in the same room with him.

There have been some reports that the Fox acts as an animal call.

Does anyone know if that is true.

I want help not a moose or a bear.

Still I have a FOX 40 on my key chain, its smaller size and pealess design make it hard to pass up.

The Wind Storm does have a pea but I have been unable to overblow it and they say it will work under water so I'm not sure that makes all that much difference.

Ben

Well X39,

I did a silly thing ... its just that I can't wait to try the Wind Storm Whistle right after I got it at the local dive store. Got into my car .... tore open the clear blister package and blew .... my ears were ringing an hour after that.

My comment, great for rescue signal (its almost a breeze to blow and the sound travel a long way ..... very unic in the wilderness), kinda chunky, nice colour (mine black) and a long way above other whistle that I try.

oink...Bob

I like Storm whistles but they are large and the pea rattles around when you are trying to be quiet.

I'm still busy testing a bunch of whistles that Marion Poff sent me - including a Storm.
So far it appears that the Storm is the loudest, by a large margin - as compared at 500M with no obstacles and no background noise. Lots more testing to do though..

So that is what the hell I've been hearing.

NO MORE WHISTLE TESTING AT NIGHT dangit...

Mike

Yep!
Testing whistles isn't as easy as it sounds. We had to drive out of town and I took a walk along the train tracks for 500M. Naturally after getting back I found I'd dropped one of the whistles so back to find it and a repeat so as not to make the extra walk a total waste...
I should have taken snowshoes or skis so I could have walked into the bush anywhere..
The real fun of testing will be on bears this spring. They'll often come to investigate strange noises - but as Alberta Ed pointed out some time ago, shrill warbling whistles just might trigger a predatory response.

'm', I sorry but you mentioned that the 'PEA' rattles in your whistle ..... how come my Wind Storm doesn't have a pea in it ... does the Storm Whistle have a pea ?????

... just curious ???

oink.....oink....Bob

The Storm whistles that I have consist of two chambers,one of which has a pea that you cannot see but that you can hear rattle when you walk or when you shake it.

Back