Straight Razor Anyone?

So...

This morning I went out to the local Barber to get my hair cut, and to make a long story short this lady was there selling scissors (long red hair, probably late 20's, freckels, You know... the cute one with a wedding band?... Yeah her... ;) )

Anyway, after she was done selling scissors to all the Barbers I asked. "Do you sell Straight Razors too?". (I dont have a straight razor, and I figured that she would. I know I can get extremely good ones online but I dont have a credit card cause I know I would quickly sink into the abyss of compounding interest.)

Well, after asking she gave me a look...the "What does this kid want with a straight razor?" type of look, and after pause pause said "Yes". At this point all the people in the shop stopped and stared and sorta chuckled.

She pulled out one and showed it to me. All of'em were german made Henkels (sp), so I know I got good steel.

I got all sorts of information on how to strop it from the barbers, as well as how they arn't brave enough to shave themselves (but they would gladly shave womens legs with them.)

(At this point you are asking "What does this have to do with Khukris?) Well earlier at work I ran across this.

http://members.tripod.com/razorcentral/index.html
http://members.tripod.com/razorcentral/index.html

I read through it all and I find it really interesting and informitave. If any of yall have anything to add. Go for it!

P.S. Does anyone know any custom knife makers that make razors, not that I can afford them, I am curious?

Dave, I got my Barber's license in '86 and keep it current, because you never really know what you might need to do to put food on the table. In the late 80's with the event of HIV, either because of directives from state barber boards or out of general concern, most Barbers stopped shaving patrons. I shaved with a straight razor for almost 5 yrs. before time considerations caused me to switch to a safety razor (it takes about 20 mins. to properly warm/moisten, lather and shave with a straight razor). Oh and by the way, well done ...its the closest shave you can get ...you can also cut right through to the bone in an instant too (the voice of experience telling you to take your time, or not use the straight razor at all). Best wishes -Pax

Bill,
thank you for the warning. I understand the capabilities of a blade this thin!:eek: (I have never witnessed the full capabilities of a blade this thin or sharp, and I dont care to, so I cant say I KNOW the capabilities.)

Slicing my finger with a 'hair popping" kitchen knife is kids play compared to this thing!

I just think it is something I should learn how to do. Yes, I can probably only use it on Sat morning because of time constraints, but it will be knowledge learned.

BTW, The barbers around here wont shave you completely with'em, but they will shave your sideburns, neck, and behind your ears.

Thanks again,

Dave

Bill, my Uncle Bill Talarico was a barber in Arma, KS for 50 years whose motto was, "satisfaction guaranteed or your hair back." He was as good with a straight razor as any man I even saw use and sharpen one, including my Dad who shaved with one for 50 years. I used one until the Navy stole it my first day at boot camp and never went back to one but I do understand all the good and bad points about them and still have a fondness for them because that's how I started.

A few months back I came across a used straight razor in good shape for I forget how much, but under $15.oo.

Markings on Right

WELT RUF 456
SCHUTZ MARKE
SOLINGEN GERMANY

Markings on the Left

BESTE*QUALITAT
*TUCKMAR*
SILBER-STAHL

While I have in the past shaved with a straight razor without incident ( in my early 20's - young and stupid ) this razor was bought for one and only one purpose: last ditch defense against assaults ( by nurses aides, nursing assistants, LPNs, technologists, and RN's while in the hospital ).

I've found I can and have treated pedophiliacs and child sexual abusers with non-judgementalism and courtesy. Health care personnel who abuse patients unable to resist are another story. :mad:

Rusty,
Smokey Mountain Junk...er...Knife Works used to sell'em for $1-4.

I figured that if I ever did buy one I'd get the real thing.

Markings on mine are

Handle:
"SOLINGEN" with a little "inox" in the G on the left side

Blade:
"Friodur inox - no stain Germany" on the "tang" (if you will) of the left side
"J.A.HENCKELS SOLINGEN ZWILLINGSWERK" on the right side.

The only thing I have of my grandfather,besides a picture, is his Wade & Butcher Sheffield razor - 7" folded, horn handle (I just remembered it, and am about to put some Corona on the scales :)) the blade is 3", with a tang and tail that measure 3 1/2". The spine is 1/4".This is a heavy, stout blade. It hasn't seen a strop or hone for over 70 years, and I could shave with it "as is".

Knifecenter of the internet offers French hammer forged straight razors for only $399.oo or if you want to go whole hog, damascus for only $649.00.

I remember seeing a movie (don't remember which one though) where the character practiced shaving a balloon covered with shaving cream with a straight razor. I suppose if you can do that, the prospects of cutting yourself is a bit lower. O'course, that's hollywood, so I don't know how accurate it is. ...

My problem was always the sideburns -- I'd lay a little line across my face if I wasn't very, very careful. You couldn't feel it but you could see the little line of blood start oozing out and the line would stay there for 3 or 4 days -- advertisement that you didn't know how to shave properly.

Guess I should have practiced on the baloon.

Rusty,
About those customs...I think I'll pass.;)

AC,
This thing will almost cut a free standing hair without a shearing motion and will literally cut the hair from your arm just as it barely brushes the skin. (As it cuts the individual hairs you can hear the blade make a little "ping" sound as it passes effortlessly through.)

I need to get a set of strops and rouge accordingly so that I can make some of my K's do this! :p

I have a lovely old Boker straight razor (from the 1920s or 1930s?)that belonged to my grandfather, along with his superfine Norton whetstone for it. The razor has gold (or brass?) inlay/etch on the blade and a handle that's I've always thought was bakelite but might be horn -- that possibility never occurred to me before.

Back in the days when I still shaved -- meaning 30 years ago, before I wore a beard fulltime -- I probably tried to use that razor a dozen or more times. And each time, after careful preparation of my face, I'd get that razor edge up to my neck ... take a deep breath to steady myself ... and chicken out. I couldn't figure out how to hold it or use it without likely doing serious damage.

Still sits in my top dresser drawer.

After 50 years of using the straight razor my Dad went high tech and now shaves with an electric razor. Never thought either of us would live to see it.

Let's see. A Bic costs around .99 each right?

649 / .99 = 655.56

A BIC lasts about one week and you have 655 of'em you can shave for approx 12 years 7 months. ;)

Originally posted by SamuraiDave
A BIC lasts about one week and you have 655 of'em you can shave for approx 12 years 7 months. ;)

Wow. ... I make my bics last a few months at least.... I'm up to five on this last one :D . But I'm not shaving my whole face, so that probably helps. ... I should be able to get a lifetime supply of bics :) .

But, a damascus razor WOULD be cool. ... if one had unlimited resources that is. ...

Glad to see some affordable cutlery for a change. :D :D :D

Andrew Limsk

Originally posted by Rusty
Knifecenter of the internet offers French hammer forged straight razors for only $399.oo or if you want to go whole hog, damascus for only $649.00.

Henckels is a very good german brand of professional cutlery. Puma makes very nice ones as well. I've been shaving with a straight razor for a couple of years; Now I'm too lazy, when I'm not onboard I shave head and face once a week with Gillette Mach 3.
Now you must get yourself a nice stropping belt to go with your razor.
Fausto

Sam,
Shave with a St.Razor everyday!Have a Henk.& use it,BUT my fav. is a beautiful mint OLD BOKER my brother got me as a surprise! When I'm in a hurry I use a n electric!Even when I use the electric ,I sometimes then use the RAZOR, the shave is unreal!!
jim:cool:

Back