Straight Razor brand and model?

Discussion in 'Razors, Scissors, & Personal Grooming' started by Dextar, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Dextar

Dextar

Sep 14, 2017
    Recently I got interested into the straight razor.
    Any recommendation on the traditional straight razor?

I see the price varies, any reason? e.g. handle material, etc.

cheers

2. David Martin

David Martin Moderator Moderator

Apr 7, 2008
    I have a F. Bannister 7/8 with horn handle, that I really like. DM

Dextar likes this.
  3. Dextar

Dextar

Sep 14, 2017
    Just searched and really like the handle:thumbsup:

4. jpm2

jpm2

Nov 19, 2014
    Is your interest collecting, shaving, both?

I think handle material makes the biggest price difference.
    If just shaving, heavier handle material could affect the balance of the razor and make for awkward, and therefore hazardous use.

Dextar likes this.
  5. Dextar

Dextar

Sep 14, 2017
    Great insight ;) you get the point, mainly interest in collecting,;) for shaving sometimes, but not everyday use

6. ToddS

ToddS Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 15, 2015
    Most of the cost of a more expensive razor is in the appearance. Scale material, blade decoration, etc.
    If you look at Thiers-Issard, for example, the Damascus and Horn is over $1k while the basic black carbon steel and plastic scales is just over $100. They shave just the same.

If I were doing it again, I'd start with a basic plastic handled 6/8 and get just one really nice custom razor. Could have saved a lot of money.

Dextar likes this.
  7. gordyt

gordyt Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 11, 2001
    I bought a pair of Thiers-Issard's years ago. Dropped one of them and broke it (which wounded my soul a little). Anyway, I still use the other one and it's been great.

EDIT: This is their Eagle Brand J86.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    Dextar likes this.
  8. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    You can't possibly know what you will like until you try them and gain some skill in their use. Many different grinds and configurations out there and for a reason, we don't all like the same thing.
    Personally I don't fool with new razors as I can pick up vintage ones much cheaper. Vintage razors from USA, Germany, Japan and England are all good.

Dextar likes this.
  9. Dextar

Dextar

Sep 14, 2017
    Thanks for the experience and advice