Straight razor/kamisori hybrid

These are what I've been making instead of traditional western straight razors-shorter, sharper, and more nimble than either the folding razor or the traditional grind kamisori:
View attachment 511948image.jpg
Forged O1.
And a traditional kami in water quenced 1075:
image.jpg

You have a knack for making me strongly consider switching to a straight razor for shaving.

I haven't used anything else for 5 or 6 years-and I've been using one of these kittle guys for at least 2. The O1 tempered hard like this holds a very keen edge just about forever if you keep stropping.
It also gets sharper than the vintage stuff I've got.
I just got some hitachi blue #2 that I'm going to play with for kamisori...

I haven't used anything else for 5 or 6 years-and I've been using one of these kittle guys for at least 2. The O1 tempered hard like this holds a very keen edge just about forever if you keep stropping.
It also gets sharper than the vintage stuff I've got.
I just got some hitachi blue #2 that I'm going to play with for kamisori...

How long does it take using one of these to start saving money by not buying new blades? And how feasible is it to use one of these early in the morning? I wake up and have to shave by 0530 almost every day, and I'm not always the most awake when I do it.

I have no idea how long it takes to save-i charge $120 or so, you can find usable vintage razors for $10 sometimes.
I was a team leader at 10th Mtn at the turn of the century (i love being able to say that) and I lived off post, so to get through post 9-11 gate security i had to leave the apartment at 0400, and I never disfigured myself-most mornings I used a 19th cent. razor (until they decided infantrymen didn't have mustaches lol)

I have no idea how long it takes to save-i charge $120 or so, you can find usable vintage razors for $10 sometimes.
I was a team leader at 10th Mtn at the turn of the century (i love being able to say that) and I lived off post, so to get through post 9-11 gate security i had to leave the apartment at 0400, and I never disfigured myself-most mornings I used a 19th cent. razor (until they decided infantrymen didn't have mustaches lol)

Perhaps I should consider myself lucky that I live within walking distance of my morning PT.

I would try and do a quick calculation of how long it would take to make up the cost of razor blades, but in my tired state best not to attempt math. Besides, it was be easiest to determine that based on replacing blades once a month and I never do that. I once went nine months with the same blades. Never bled visibly, but getting sweaty at PT sure stung.

Now for sleep. No point making a decision when you can barely walk in a straight line, even if the floor isn't level. :D

Back