1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Straight razor patterns

Discussion in 'Razors, Scissors, & Personal Grooming' started by DirtyDusty, Feb 17, 2018.

1. DirtyDusty

DirtyDusty

Feb 1, 2013
    Finally got my belt grinder built, and I want to try my hand at making some straight razors. I have seen a lot of pictures of the Wade and Butcher 9/8 and 8/8. Does anyone happen to have a pattern of one I could print out? I have restored quite a few vintage, but have never held a “chopper”. So not quite sure I could get the proportions right, just by looking at pics on the net.

2. marc4fishing

marc4fishing

May 23, 2011
    i would really start on normal knives first...straight razors are like the formula one of knife grinding....if its not perfect its pretty much useless

3. Peafowlguy

Peafowlguy

Mar 2, 2018
    i'm a straight razor collector . i have several '' choppers '' in my care . are you wanting measurements , thickness ,
    type of metal , ? . unless you are incredibly well versed on straight razor making or just have a lot of metal ,
    to practice with , as this is an art all to itself , I would suggest an apprenticeship under someone who can make a straight razor from start to finish .
    its no overnight thing , really , not trying to scare you off , more over to encourage you to do so . learn the art .
    if its measurements you want , i may be able to help you .
    Peafowlguy

Bradenk1987 likes this.
  4. DirtyDusty

DirtyDusty

Feb 1, 2013
    Yes, I was looking more for a pattern. I have many strait razors, and have restored a lot. I know grinding one will be a difficult task, but I have to start some where. Thickness and a template would be a great.

5. kn4wd

kn4wd

Jan 20, 2014
    here is a for instance, if you had an 8/8 or 9/8 and it had never sharpened, then the geometry would be perfect if it has touched a stone with the spine taped then the blade moved and spine stayed the same. you need to find a geometry calculator for straight razors and go from that. 8/8 is just over 1/4 inch at the spine. I have the stenton 10/8 and a few wade barbers only none are in mint shape the stenton is closest one to mint