1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight razor patterns

Discussion in 'Razors, Scissors, & Personal Grooming' started by DirtyDusty, Feb 17, 2018.

1. DirtyDusty

DirtyDusty

Feb 1, 2013
    Finally got my belt grinder built, and I want to try my hand at making some straight razors. I have seen a lot of pictures of the Wade and Butcher 9/8 and 8/8. Does anyone happen to have a pattern of one I could print out? I have restored quite a few vintage, but have never held a “chopper”. So not quite sure I could get the proportions right, just by looking at pics on the net.

2. marc4fishing

marc4fishing

May 23, 2011
    i would really start on normal knives first...straight razors are like the formula one of knife grinding....if its not perfect its pretty much useless

3. Peafowlguy

Peafowlguy

Mar 2, 2018
    i'm a straight razor collector . i have several '' choppers '' in my care . are you wanting measurements , thickness ,
    type of metal , ? . unless you are incredibly well versed on straight razor making or just have a lot of metal ,
    to practice with , as this is an art all to itself , I would suggest an apprenticeship under someone who can make a straight razor from start to finish .
    its no overnight thing , really , not trying to scare you off , more over to encourage you to do so . learn the art .
    if its measurements you want , i may be able to help you .
    Peafowlguy

Bradenk1987 likes this.
  4. DirtyDusty

DirtyDusty

Feb 1, 2013
    Yes, I was looking more for a pattern. I have many strait razors, and have restored a lot. I know grinding one will be a difficult task, but I have to start some where. Thickness and a template would be a great.

5. kn4wd

kn4wd

Jan 20, 2014
    here is a for instance, if you had an 8/8 or 9/8 and it had never sharpened, then the geometry would be perfect if it has touched a stone with the spine taped then the blade moved and spine stayed the same. you need to find a geometry calculator for straight razors and go from that. 8/8 is just over 1/4 inch at the spine. I have the stenton 10/8 and a few wade barbers only none are in mint shape the stenton is closest one to mint