Straight Razors are expensive!

Why in the world are they so pricey? Every straight razor dealer I find online seems to want to charge an exorbitant amount of money for these things. Either THAT or the straight razor is so ridiculously cheap that it conjures images of a bloody face and lots of pain.

Where do you buy your straight razor and what did you pay? What can I expect to pay for a quality razor? Can I get that quality without busting my wallet?

Try an old one from either a local auction or flea market or e-bay. Some of the old ones are as good or better than the expensive new ones and can be had for a small fraction of the cost.

Don

I bought a Dovo online for about $150. That's my regular shaver. I also bought an Ebay razor, but it needed a good sharpening before I could comfortably use it.

I would recommend that you get a good translucent Arkansas stone, and a good quality strop to sharpen your razor. I have been using my Dovo for approx. 2 years and just sharpened it yesterday. I feel that this is good edge retension.

Good luck.

If memory serves I paid about $50 (don't think it was more than $75 US) for my dovo (12-15 yrs back).

The straight razor today is a niche market. Which means folks charge a premium because there are other folks willing to pay a premium.

ron

My dovos were around $60 or $70. That is expensive compared to buying a Mach3, but cheap after considering refills for 5 or 10 years.

If memory serves I paid about $50 (don't think it was more than $75 US) for my dovo (12-15 yrs back).

The straight razor today is a niche market. Which means folks charge a premium because there are other folks willing to pay a premium.

ron

Have you seen the straight razors from Darrel Ralph? Awesome! :eek:

I bought an antique german one, the company name escapes me, for about $50. it works very well

Back