Straightened and convexed SS, and Convexed GW

Bigfattyt

Gold Member
I picked the wife up from the airport today. She has been gone for a month, and had the camera with her (visiting her folks while I studied for the bar). I have not posted any pics of my GW, or the SS after I took the curve out of it, and convexed the edge. They both push cut paper, and make hair jump off the arm. I still need to strip the SS, I Might wait till the finish is even more beat up from use, then strip it to match the satin GW.

I used a piece of glass, and sand paper to take the curve out, then convexed it on mouse pad with sand paper.

Enjoy

IMG_1070.jpg

IMG_1071.jpg

IMG_1160.jpg

IMG_1161.jpg

IMG_1162.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

The before shot.
IMG_0988.jpg

Bigfattyt

Gold Member
I forgot to say, the green in the first two holes, is glow in the dark epoxy. (the hog I bought it from did it, and convexed the edge also). Hit them with a flash light, they glow for a couple hours. I really like the idea, especially if I had it out in the woods at night. Nothing like dropping a very sharp knife, and hoping you find it before you step on it or kick it.

I have been carrying it front pocket, tied off on the belt, so I won't loose it. Recently carrying it with the tech lock, horizontal, on the front.

Those look nice and sharp. INFI is one of the nicest steels I have ever worked with but I am having a hell of a time with the new Dog and Rat CPM154 stainless.

Bigfattyt

Gold Member
for the hardness level, it sure seems to sharpen easy. Once convexed, just a few strokes on the strop and it pops hair.

Nice work, BFT. About time you get those pics up. Oh, and btw...hope you passed the first time. Good luck.

What is the SusScrofa like to cut with? I look at that weird inside curve edge and have no idea how it would work.

Bigfattyt

Gold Member
What is the SusScrofa like to cut with? I look at that weird inside curve edge and have no idea how it would work.

It is a very very efficient slicer. I have really liked using it. For opening packages, mail, cutting rope, hard heavy duty packaging bands cut much easier with the reverse curve. The point control is very good. It is an extremely useful design. It would make a great river knife, boat knife, rescue knife (good for cutting seat belts without cutting the person stuck in the belt). The skull crusher on the back will make a great window breaker.
The reason I decided to take it straight, I made some hard contact with a sink. The dent was too big to strop out. I tried to steel it for a few minutes, then decided it was the perfect reason to do some modding. The SS was only the 2nd attempt at convexing an edge. It sure is sharp now.