1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange weight stamp on Plumb

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by FLINT77, Jul 8, 2018.

1. FLINT77

FLINT77

Apr 8, 2013
    I just saw this strange weight stamp.

It is a big 3 with a small 5

So far I've only seen the weight stamps where the big number indicates the number of pounds (2, 3, 4, 5) and the small number indicates the number of additional quarters of pounds (1, 2, or 3).

I've also seen the weight stamps with with the weight listed with pounds and then fractions of pounds, like 3 1/2

So, in the style in this image with the big three and the small 5, what does the 5 mean? Does it mean 3.5 pounds. or 3 lbs, 5 oz ? seems like its more likely to mean 3.5 lbs to me, as I doubt Plumb went to the trouble to record the weight to the ounce.

[​IMG]

garry3, Yankee Josh and Square_peg like this.
  2. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    I'd say 3.5 as in 3-1/2lbs

3. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    That's an odd one. But I think you're right. It must mean 3.5 pounds. Perhaps a stamp intended for the export market?

garry3, Yankee Josh and FLINT77 like this.
  4. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    Is this a double bit ?
    Not sure if there would be any differences, but it appears to be a double bit.

Yankee Josh and FLINT77 like this.
  5. FLINT77

FLINT77

Apr 8, 2013
    That seems like a possibility.

Yeah, it was a double bit

6. junkenstien

junkenstien

Feb 15, 2017
    There is a thread on here about that mark.Read it last year think it is 3 5 plumb thread,with some symbol between the numbers.

FLINT77 likes this.
  7. FLINT77

FLINT77

Apr 8, 2013
    Cool, thanks, I'll look for it.

8. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Here is my plumb db stamped 3 5. It weighs #3-10.4oz. Personally i think it's supposed to mean 3-1/2 pounds. But it is a tad confusing. Just thought I'd add my two cents. [​IMG]

garry3, Square_peg and FLINT77 like this.
  9. FLINT77

FLINT77

Apr 8, 2013
    yeah, it really must mean 3 1/2 pounds, and you are right it is confusing when there was already the longstanding convention of the smaller number meaning quarters of pounds.

I wonder if this change corresponds to a specific time period, or after a merger or buyout. or as someone suggested, maybe intended for an international market?

maybe people were complaining that the big 3 with the little 2 was confusing because your average person certainly wouldn't know about the quarters of pounds thing.

Yankee Josh likes this.
  10. drail

drail

Feb 23, 2008
    Actual weight probably depends on who was doing the grinding that day......

Yankee Josh likes this.
  11. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I'd like to punch(okay maybe a backhand) whoever did the tempering that day. The symmetry of that db is almost perfect, it was jusy unevenly tempered. Nice and deep on one side!