Off Topic Street Beat model numbers?

While doing a little research on the Street Beat and its variant, I discovered that the model numbers on the Spyderco website catalog don't match what's on the box and other retailers (KnifeCenter, BladeHQ, etc.).

Spyderco's website has them as FB15 and FB15BBK for the Street Beat and "Street Beat FRN Black Blade", respectively. However other sites have them as FB15P and FB15PBBK, and they call the black blade the "Street Beat Lightweight". The black blade I received also has the P on the barcode.

Is this just an oversight, or are there two different versions? I am curious, for the life of me I thought I had seen the P on the Spyderco website before, thought it stood for Perrin. Just to be clear, I know there's a satin&micarta SB and a black bladed SB, I guess I am mainly wondering why the model numbers differ across websites and on the packaging.

EDIT: To confound this even more, the Edge-U-Cation it came with calls it the Street Beat Lightweight as well... o_O

Last edited:
Can you post the listing or a picture of it? There are def two different knives one with FRN and one with Micarta. The regular Street Beat should be $187 but I've seen it as low as $150 and generally out of stock. Then there is the lightweight version that is $107

Just noticed the micarta part in your post so I would dispute or return if it were me and that's what you actually wanted.

I removed the bit about the dispute since I don't want to focus on that part. I was mostly wondering why the model numbers don't match on all sources, you'd think a model number is something important to keep consistent.

I think the P is for plain edge. As an example, the Delica on Spyderco.com just has C11BK because the page has a drop down for plain edge, serrated or partially serrated (combo edge). KnifeCenter's page for the plain edge Delica is C11FPBK and the one for the serrated edge is C11SBL4. That might not be a good example because I'm not sure what the F stands for in the plain edge KC number, but I've noticed the same discrepancy between SpydieWiki page, dealer page and Spyderco page on multiple models, for what it's worth. Spyderco's site omits the "P" or "PS" or "S" for plain edge, partially serrated or serrated between the model number and the color/handle material or whatever else makes up the end of the code.

Yep, the extra P stands for plain edge. Since the Street Beat doesn't come in serrated, most listings leave it out for the sake of brevity.

Back