Street Bowie QCI

MatthewSB

Gold Member
I had a Street Bowie, and really liked the design but hated the handle. Not because it's plastic, but because of the sticky rubber insert. It seemed to defeat the purpose of a knife designed to be carried, because it was aweful to wear when the sticky rubber grabbed onto whatever cloth (undershirt, etc.) that got near it. It's hard to access a blade that is glued to your shirt. The rubber also made the handle squishy, overall it feels cheap.

A hard plastic, like the Kraton used on the Gryphon M10 and M30, or polished G10 or Micarta would have been a much more functional choice. Any chance at some QCI for the Street Bowie with a different handle material? Maybe a sprint run with black G10 and a satin blade?

The handle of the Street Bowie is injection molded onto a partial stick tang. What you are asking for is essentially a whole new model.

Luckily, I find the handle too uncomfortable for the Kraton inserts to become a problem for me.

The handle of the Street Bowie is injection molded onto a partial stick tang. What you are asking for is essentially a whole new model.

There are lots of ways to attach a full sized handle to a partial stick tang. The "Saber Style" Blackjack and Randall fighters are a partial stick tang, epoxied and jammed into a slot drilled in the top of a chunk of micarta or wood. They could also Mortise the tang into a slot milled in the side of the handle material, like the Blackjack and Randall Model 14.

The Model 14 on the left is a Mortised tang, the Model 1 on the right is a partial stick tang:

This sounds like a mod is needed. There are plenty of ways to make the knife the way you want. The Beckerheads do it all the time to their blades. Its a good way to personalize a fine blade.

Or you could go with the Perrin "integral" street bowie and attach scales or paracord to it.

...or get the Spyderco Street Beat.... My all time favorite!

It's the one with the black micarta handle (bottom). Not the best pic but you get the idea. It comes with a nice kydex sheath and Gclip. It's a beaut! Crazy Sharp out of the box. Very comfy carry, you forget it's there. Smooth handle, doesn't bind to clothing. Deep finger choil ensures a great grip.

I too would like to see a non rubbery handle on the Street Bowie. We can only wait and hope. I'd like to see a full tang version.

In the mean time, the Street Beat is the way to go. Ergos are similar to the Street Bowie but better IMHO ;)

Last edited:
Not sure, but maybe he means this:

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Fred-Perrin-Le-Grand-Bowie-Neck--17259

Not quite as large as the SB, but pretty close.

I bought a pair of those, my intention was to use them to learn to make my own handles. I opened the package and the blade was extremely thin, like really thin, and the handle way too small, nowhere near as comfortable as the Street Beat or Street Bowie. Not only that, the grinds were terrible and the knives were covered in machine marks so deep that I believe it would affect the blade's cutting ability.

In the mean time, the Street Beat is the way to go. Ergos are similar to the Street Bowie but better IMHO ;)

That's probably what I'll end up doing.

Back