1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 29 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Ron Flaherty Folder , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Street Bowie QCI

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by MatthewSB, Oct 8, 2014.

1. MatthewSB

MatthewSB Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2013
    I had a Street Bowie, and really liked the design but hated the handle. Not because it's plastic, but because of the sticky rubber insert. It seemed to defeat the purpose of a knife designed to be carried, because it was aweful to wear when the sticky rubber grabbed onto whatever cloth (undershirt, etc.) that got near it. It's hard to access a blade that is glued to your shirt. The rubber also made the handle squishy, overall it feels cheap.

A hard plastic, like the Kraton used on the Gryphon M10 and M30, or polished G10 or Micarta would have been a much more functional choice. Any chance at some QCI for the Street Bowie with a different handle material? Maybe a sprint run with black G10 and a satin blade?

2. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    The handle of the Street Bowie is injection molded onto a partial stick tang. What you are asking for is essentially a whole new model.

Luckily, I find the handle too uncomfortable for the Kraton inserts to become a problem for me.

3. MatthewSB

Feb 1, 2013
    There are lots of ways to attach a full sized handle to a partial stick tang. The "Saber Style" Blackjack and Randall fighters are a partial stick tang, epoxied and jammed into a slot drilled in the top of a chunk of micarta or wood. They could also Mortise the tang into a slot milled in the side of the handle material, like the Blackjack and Randall Model 14.

The Model 14 on the left is a Mortised tang, the Model 1 on the right is a partial stick tang:

[​IMG]

4. Tdhurl1103

Tdhurl1103

Dec 6, 2012
    This sounds like a mod is needed. There are plenty of ways to make the knife the way you want. The Beckerheads do it all the time to their blades. Its a good way to personalize a fine blade.

5. Colinz

Colinz

Feb 16, 2001
    Or you could go with the Perrin "integral" street bowie and attach scales or paracord to it.

6. MatthewSB

Feb 1, 2013
    The Perrin what?

7. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
  8. Noxious Fumes

Noxious Fumes

Sep 7, 2011
    ...or get the Spyderco Street Beat.... My all time favorite!

[​IMG]

It's the one with the black micarta handle (bottom). Not the best pic but you get the idea. It comes with a nice kydex sheath and Gclip. It's a beaut! Crazy Sharp out of the box. Very comfy carry, you forget it's there. Smooth handle, doesn't bind to clothing. Deep finger choil ensures a great grip.

I too would like to see a non rubbery handle on the Street Bowie. We can only wait and hope. I'd like to see a full tang version.

In the mean time, the Street Beat is the way to go. Ergos are similar to the Street Bowie but better IMHO ;)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  9. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    I agree, the handle is not great.

10. MatthewSB

Feb 1, 2013
    I bought a pair of those, my intention was to use them to learn to make my own handles. I opened the package and the blade was extremely thin, like really thin, and the handle way too small, nowhere near as comfortable as the Street Beat or Street Bowie. Not only that, the grinds were terrible and the knives were covered in machine marks so deep that I believe it would affect the blade's cutting ability.

That's probably what I'll end up doing.

11. MatthewSB

Feb 1, 2013