Stretch: ZDP or Super Blue?

I love my VG-10 Stretch, it's one of my new favorite Spydies. So I'm wondering, should I spring for a ZDP Stretch now or wait the the Super Blue version that's coming out in several months, maybe a year? I have no experience with either of these steels, so I'm wondering which would be better as an EDC blade. I want a user, not a safe queen. Sharpening difficulty aside, what do you guys thing would be better suited for a great pocket blade?

The Stretch SuperBlue is still a ways off so I'd suggest that you jump on the ZDP version now. Im def getting the SB version also but the Stretch ZDP is my favorite folder as it is. Got the green, blue, and two CF's!

If you like the Stretch enough to warrant getting it in another steel, whats the harm in getting both!

this-or-that questions are just for the initial buy and to a lot of people it's important. as for me, kindly explain your signature .gif who's the guy blazing away, and why are the paratroopers landing in the water?

Hey Hank, I change my avy and sig often mainly because of boredom at work. As for the meaning, there was non so use your imagination. I didn't know that you can put animations on a sig so I was like "cool" and put this scene together. To the effect of America coming to save the day. It's an eyesore yeah? Whatever, I'll take it down soon lol.

I am never able to make an animation small enough to fit in the avy worth having. Yours is cool. What's with the sun and solar flare?

I love my VG-10 Stretch, it's one of my new favorite Spydies. So I'm wondering, should I spring for a ZDP Stretch now or wait the the Super Blue version that's coming out in several months, maybe a year? I have no experience with either of these steels, so I'm wondering which would be better as an EDC blade. I want a user, not a safe queen. Sharpening difficulty aside, what do you guys thing would be better suited for a great pocket blade?

You will end up with both anyway.

I'd say the zdp-189. First, I prefer the racing green over the powder blue. Secondly, I believe the super blue is laminated.

I have the ZDP Stretch and it is amazing! I too am on the waiting list for the super blue model, but in researching the steels, ZDP seems to win in edge retention.

Laminated as a con? That was the only reason I was considering super blue in a folder.

I agree. Super Blue is very corrosive, IMO. It's a great steel to sharpen and holds an edge for a good while. Lamination may limit the pretty patina that Super Blue forms but it does limit the worry of corrosion a fair bit. The laminated sprints provide great user knives and limits problems. A win-win, IMO.

I agree on both. However, if I had to choose it would be Super Blue.

SlippyShayne: If you like how SB patinas, why not get the laminate and make it look like a hamon? Might be cool

The the OP: ZDP if you want corrosion resistance and dislike/can't use carbon steel, SuperBlue if you don't care either way. Both if you want to play ball and see which you prefer.

SlippyShayne: If you like how SB patinas, why not get the laminate and make it look like a hamon? Might be cool

The the OP: ZDP if you want corrosion resistance and dislike/can't use carbon steel, SuperBlue if you don't care either way. Both if you want to play ball and see which you prefer.

I'm not sure what a hamon is so I'll check that out soon.
I already have the zdp-189 stretch and it's one of my favorite knives. I'll probably pick up the enudra in super blue though. I don't have one yet have been looking for a reason to get one.
I said laminated was a con, but not big enough to keep me away. :p

For obtaining a hamon you only quench the edge during heat-treat. I doubt you will have a hamon since it will probably be fully hard to the spine. Besides, the labor involved to edge quench each blade would be too costly. Also, it makes no sense in a folder whose primary purpose is slicing. The soft spine allows the bigger knives prevent breaking when used with great force such as chopping.

the super blue is more alluring to me, but if you are in a rush we have no idea when it will be released.

For obtaining a hamon you only quench the edge during heat-treat. I doubt you will have a hamon since it will probably be fully hard to the spine. Besides, the labor involved to edge quench each blade would be too costly. Also, it makes no sense in a folder whose primary purpose is slicing. The soft spine allows the bigger knives prevent breaking when used with great force such as chopping.

they were taking about making it look like a hamon only. not that it actually has one.

I'd rather have the Super Blue. I like ZDP-189, but lately I've been really enjoying simpler carbon steels that are easy to sharpen to a very keen edge, which is how I understand Super Blue to me. If laminated and kept oiled, corrosion shouldn't be an issue in regular use.

Back