Strider AR vs. TOPS CQT747 Magnum

Which one do I get? :confused:

I'm looking for a heavy duty folder, and have narrowed my choices down to these two. I've done the "search" thing on both models, and have plenty of info - BUT - I'm still undecided.

Strider is twice as much money as TOPS - do I get twice the knife?

TIA

I don't have the TOPS knife, but you really can't go wrong with the AR if you want a heavy duty folder.

Strider is twice as much money as TOPS - do I get twice the knife?

That's tough to say. I own knives that are twice as much as the AR but do I get twice as much knife? The price a maker charges for a knife is based on cost to produce and the demand for the knife. The AR happens to be a custom knife that is in very high demand. You could probably order the TOPS knife today and get it way sooner then you could the AR.

But if you want the toughest folder IMHO, you should wait and get an AR. Besides it's guaranteed for life. If it breaks, send it to Strider and they will replace it. How much is that worth to you?

Good luck in your search,

S.

I have the CQT, and it is my favorite folder, and finally got to handle the AR. I want one of those, too! The CQT is a little bigger, and has a more comfortable grip. However, the grip on the AR is designed purposefully to be rough so you can index it easily even with gloves or frozen hands.

I have not had a chance to put the AR to any test, but I have no doubt it'll hold up no problem -- Mick and Duane know, from experience, what works in the field. I have, however, abused the CQT severely in wilderness and urban situations, and it is still my carry piece -- no damage! It holds up like a fixed blade. The CQT has no clip (comes with a nylon belt sheath or kydex breakout sheath) -- I can't remember if the AR does. That could also be a decision factor.

The two factors are probably this: comfort, and price. Both are great makers (TOPS is semi-custom, not a production house), and they both have a lot of respect for each other, too...

Either way, you will own a kick-ass, hardcore blade. How's that for making it more difficult? LOL!

One frank statement: no, you will not get twice the knife in the AR just because it is twice the price. They are neck-in-neck quality wise. That is not a put-down of the Strider, just the difference in cost of making a pure custom as opposed to a semi-custom/production blade.

Best,

Brian.

Just my biased opinion, get the Strider. I've handled the tops, and didn't care for it, but that's not to say it's a bad knife. I've owned 2 AR's and currently have a GB (tanto version) and they will take anything you can dish out. It's a huge knife and takes some getting used to, but it will not fail when the going gets tough :)

BH,

Give us a better biased opinion -- what did you not care for on the TOPS?

The thing that turned me most off on the Tops was the fact that the liners were super thin. I put pressure on the spine of the blade, and could see the liner flex. Just didn't impress me. That, and some other things that I don't want to bring up on the forums turn me off of T.O.P.S knives.

Originally posted by BH
I put pressure on the spine of the blade, and could see the liner flex.

:eek:

That's NOT what I wanted to hear!!! I thought these things were like tanks?

Thanks, BH.

Shane, it couldn't have been the CQT Magnum then. It has a stainless steel thick liner -- that thing does NOT budge, Shane. DO a search on the abuse I put that thing through. After reading, you'll be satisfied with its strength and then some...

I've relied repeatedly on this knife for very demanding life/death tasks both in the woods, and out -- things where I stressed the liner as hard as any fixed blade -- if the liner failed on me I'd be fingerless. Never happened yet...

BH: I agree with Brian. I think there might be a mistake. I don't see how the liners of the Magnum could be considered thin. I have one of the Magnums in my hand right now and don't understand how any part of this knife could be considered "thin". It is big, thick and strong in all regards.

Are you sure you are refering to the Magnum model?

I have owned both, and I would recommend the TOPS 747, or the 711.

The 747 is one tough knife indeed. I have abused mine for quite awhile now, and have never had even a hint of a problem. As for the liners being thin, I would also say there must be some confusion or error. I have spine whacked, hammered and slammed the back of the blade and the liner has not even come close to flexing.
I also prefer the black traction coating that TOPS uses.

The Thunder Hawke #303 is also a great knife from TOPS, in a smaller package, although I have not used it as extensively as my 747, or abused it nearly as much.

The AR is a huge knife, no doubt about it, but in my opinion that is the only outstanding "feature".

In my opinion, the 747 is tops ( no pun intended ) in toughness, fit & finish, and overall quality.
Coupled with the fact that you can buy the 747 for as low as $159 compared to $350-$500 for the AR, and it's no contest I would think.

It is very possible that I was looking at another model. I'm not too familiar with TOPS knives.

Oh, just go buy a large Sebenza and be done with it.

I think you're all survival freak-commando-wannabe-nutjobs.

Hee..

J/K...sometimes I can't bite my tonque hard enough.... :p

What about the Busse folder?
I absolutely love mine!!!
Lenny:D

Back