1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Strider concerns

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by LIMELITE, Dec 25, 2010.

1. LIMELITE

LIMELITE

Dec 23, 2010
    I am concerned about the break in period for a Strider SMF.
    First of all do they actually get easier to unlock the blade over time? If so, obviously I realize it depends on the usage, but does this take days, weeks, or months? Are there cases when they don't break in? Secondly, which would be better oil, fluorinated grease or neither to help action? And finially since I am new to this I was wondering if once you oil or grease a knife and that area appears black should this be wiped off or left on? My instincts tell me to wipe off?

2. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod Staff Member Super Mod

Apr 6, 2000
    If the knife is a user, I don't worry about oil marking the metal.

A framelock can be hard to unlock when the metal to metal contact of titanium to steel galls. Take a pencil and scribble on the lockface to lubricate it. This should eliminate a lot of the stiffness.

The pivot action will break in pretty quickly. I disassemble and wipe down the parts with Tuff-Cloth. This cleans out any grit that might have collected in there.

3. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    Read through this

4. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod Staff Member Super Mod

Apr 6, 2000
    Awesome. TMI !!! :D

5. RevDevil

Nov 9, 2009
    Hey now! :(

6. THE PUNISHER

THE PUNISHER

Nov 24, 2008
    they smooth out over time,strider does not use washers so it is g-10 to metal..

7. RevDevil

Nov 9, 2009
    Wot?
    Maybe your does not have them, but both my SnG and PT do.

8. LIMELITE

LIMELITE

Dec 23, 2010
    Esav and RevDevil,

Thanks - I will try the suggestions. I am new to bladeforums and just now starting a small personal collection of knives. I definitely have gotten the bug!

9. trix2004

trix2004 Banned BANNED

Sep 28, 2008
    both mine SNG and SMF do have bronze washers .

10. JNewell

JNewell Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Having voided the warranty by disassembling, cleaning and re-lubing my SnG, I can confirm that it has two PB washers. ;)

11. mongomondo

mongomondo SUPPRESSING FIRE

Sep 17, 2006
    It doesn't void the warranty to take a Strider apart. If you mess something up and have to send it in for them to put it together for you they'll charge you. The warranty should be intact for the future though.

My SnG took a few weeks to break in. It does have PB washers as well. He might have been talking about how the G10 side doesn't have any liners.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  12. mm3

mm3

Mar 7, 2007
    +1 on both counts

13. Ankerson

Ankerson Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    The Stonewashed blades break in faster than the coated ones do.

Once they are broken in they are smooth as butter.

14. Gress

Gress Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 8, 2009
    And here are forementioned washers :)
    You can see they are different between PT and SnG

PT:
    [​IMG]

SnG:
    [​IMG]

All in all Strider's are knives you need not to be afraid of taking apart, fixed little issues, lubed and assembled back. Enjoy! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. LIMELITE

LIMELITE

Dec 23, 2010
    Gress, Thank you - very helpful! Anyone - I'm concerned with a new SMF - should I take apart and grease to loosen up or can one simply oil from the outside? I guess I'm confused on whether to oil or grease it to help with the loosing up the action. Maybe it is meant to be tight - I don't know?

16. ericb445

ericb445

Jan 29, 2006
    All my Strider Folders have washers.

17. trix2004

trix2004 Banned BANNED

Sep 28, 2008
    just few drops of motor oil , and play with it open -close .. open -close .... more you use it better it will get .

18. Socom Elite

Socom Elite

Aug 25, 2008
    When it comes to Striders and lube I say less is more. Mine have always run better almost dry

19. Gress

Gress Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 8, 2009
    I double this. Actually I only use a tiny drop of Miltec in between the washers and the blade. The framelock is better just dry or with a bit of a pencil scribble.

20. experimentjon

experimentjon

Jan 24, 2010
    Wow, is that all there is to taking apart a Strider? I wonder why people have such a hard time putting it back together properly that they had to explicitly say that there was a charge for reassembling it properly.

Is there some sort of trick with the lockbar where you could mess up the lockup?