Strider PT Review

Strider PT Review - Part 1

attachment.php

Introduction

I have owned a Strider PT for a few years now. It is Strider’s smallest folder and the MSRP is $300. While you won't find one at dealer for less than MSRP, you may find one for less on the BladeForums exchange from time to time. That is where I got mine. It started out as with the standard tiger-striped blade with a flame finished titanium scale on one side, and a black G10 scale on the other side.

If you are not familiar with Strider, a search of BladeForums will reveal that it is a controversial brand with many fans and many detractors. The fans tend to like the toughness and designs of the knives, the lifetime warranty, the military aura, and the exclusivity of the knives. The detractors tend to dislike the price, the brash company owner with a checkered past, the sometimes clunky designs, and the sometimes spotty QC and customer service. Here's how Strider Knives describes itself on its website http://www.striderknives.com/site/:

"Strider Knives is an American owned and operated Company, whose goal is the evolution of Problem Solving Tools. Around the globe, people stake their lives on our tools; because of this we spare no expense when designing and manufacturing our products. Using only the finest materials and latest technology, Strider Knives continues to set the pace in cutting geometry, function and durability. The World is our Research and Development facility. We at Strider Knives include our customers as part of the Company. We LISTEN to what our customers are saying. We understand people’s needs and attempt to fill them with the best tool available for the job at hand."

attachment.php

I had the blade bead blasted and replaced the G10 with a custom cocobolo wood scale for a while. Phil Dobson made the cocobolo scale (as shown in his photo.) If you like his work, you can contact him at: http://www.phillipdobson.com/

4037182761_01e674fcdc.jpg

Size & Weight

The Strider PT is a sturdy knife in a small, lightweight package. Here is how it compares to some competitors:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Strider PT Review - Part 2

Fit & Finish

Strider has a reputation for hard use knives with occasionally spotty quality control. My PT is well made, with well thought-out details and superior construction. While it isn't as refined as a Sebenza, it seems nearly as well made. After a few years of use, the lock-up is still tight, there is no blade play. The blade is centered, and it opens smoothly using the opening hole or thumb studs. The crenellated jimping is rugged and in just the right places. The jimping at the end of the handle, for example, isn't something I've seen in any other knife and gives good traction to your thumb in an overhand ice pick grip. Like the Chris Reeve Umnumzaan, the thumb studs also function as a blade stops. The G10 scale is milled so that it has an integrated spacer. I'm no engineer, but the tolerances seem quite tight.

attachment.php

As you can see in some of the photos, my used PT came to me with a slightly damaged pivot. The PT (and other Striders) requires a special spanner tool for adjustment. Since the spanners aren't readily available on the market, most folks take a screwdriver to the knife, but it doesn't quite work. To me, this is one of the bigger weaknesses of the PT.

attachment.php

Another weakness is the titanium pocket clip. While it helps hold the frame lock in place like a Hinderer lock bar stabilizer, it doesn't hold the knife in the pocket very well and about a third of the knife sticks out. The way the weight is distributed also makes the knife top-heavy when clipped and I've had mine fall out of my pocket. The clip is removable and configured for tip-up, right-side carry only. A "CC" or concealed carry version of the PT is available for the same price and comes with no clip, a lanyard hole, and a rounded G10 scale.

PT vs. Sebenza

The Strider PT is most often compared to the Chris Reeve Small Sebenza. They share a titanium frame lock, S30V steel blades, and heavy duty construction. The Strider has a wider, shorter, thicker blade and a more contoured handle. It gives a more secure grip and a decidedly more "military" look than the Sebenza, which is often cited as a "gentleman's folder," despite its heavy duty construction. For my part, I find that the characterizations are true. I don't mind using my Strider for dirty work, but save my Small Sebenza for lighter chores, even though I think it can handle anything the PT can handle -- and maybe more, since it has two titanium scales to the PT's one.

attachment.php

PT vs. Spyderco Native

While the PT often gets compared to the Small Sebenza, it is very similar to the Spyderco Native in many respects. They share similar blade and handle sizes and a similar blade shape. The PT is heavier duty and uses better materials but for $65, the FRN lock back Spydie might be worth a look. You get 75% of the PT for 20% of the price.

attachment.php

Ergonomics & Cutting Power

The PT can be opened left-handed or right-handed. Whether or not you like the PT's ergonomics may depend on whether or not you like choils. The PT is a small knife, and like the Spyderco Native, if you have large hands and want to get a good grip, you'll need to use the choil. The full flat ground S30V blade slices well and holds an edge, but seems harder to sharpen (on a Sharpmaker) than Spyderco's S30V. I suspect Strider's heat treatment results in a little harder blade.

attachment.php

Conclusions

The Strider PT is one of those knives that grows on you. Here it is with a Microtech UT-X85. When I first got it, I thought it was too small to be useful and really overpriced. Somehow, I've avoided selling it and have found it consistently in my pocket when I want something light. In the same period, my Strider SMF has come and gone, as well as many other smaller knives. Who is it for? If you like a folder the size of a Spyderco Native, but want it on steroids, the PT may be for you.

Last edited:
Draft Strider PT Review - Part 1

attachment.php

Introduction

I have owned a Strider PT for a few years now. It is Strider’s smallest folder and the MSRP is $300. While you won't find one at dealer for less than MSRP, you may find one on the exchange from time to time. That is where I got mine. It started out as with the standard tiger-striped blade with a flame finished titanium scale on one side, and a black G10 scale on the other side.

attachment.php

I had the blade bead blasted replaced the G10 with a custom cocobolo wood scale. Phil Dobson made the cocobolo scale (as shown in his photo.) If you like his work, you can contact him at: http://www.phillipdobson.com/

4037182761_01e674fcdc.jpg

Size & Weight

The Strider PT is a sturdy knife in a small, lightweight package. Here is how it compares to some competitors:

attachment.php

Strider vs. Sebenza

The Strider PT is most often compared to the Chris Reeve Small Sebenza. They share a titanium frame lock, S30V steel blades, and heavy duty construction. The Strider has a wider, shorter, thicker blade and a more contoured blade. It gives a more secure grip and a decidedly more "military" look than the Sebenza, which is often cited as a "gentleman's folder," despite its heavy duty construction. For my part, I find that the characterizations are true. I don't mind using my Strider for dirty work, but save my Small Sebenza for lighter chores, even though I think it can handle anything.

attachment.php

To be continued...

That is IMHO one damn sexy looking knife.
Awesome pics and review! Thanks so much for posting this. =)

-Freq

GREAT review!

I bought my best friend a Strider PT as a Commissioning gift when he became a U.S. Army Infantry Officer.

As an Infantryman the most often performed tasks are easily handled by the Strider PT i.e. opening MREs, cutting parachute cord etc.

The best part about the Strider PT is that it fits within the blade length limits set by many of the higher-speed school in the U.S. Army i.e. Ranger, SERE, SFAS etc thus it can be carried virtually anywhere throughout a career.

At present said Strider PT is running around Iraq in my buddy's pocket.

-Stan

Thanks for the review and great pics! Your custom scale is awesome!
I've been relying on my PT in my pocket for 3 years now. The knife is simply the best ergonomics for the EDC. Sturdy and light :thumbup:

I thought it may worth it to give my experience with PT here too.
As I said I have it for a few years now and use and carry it everyday.
It came bead blasted

da39b26d98.jpg

and as I take care of it verytime I sharpen it it becomes more and more stonewashed :D

4228b55bc4.jpg

Anyway, the knife came originally with loose pivot screw, but no biggie, as I took the knife apart, cleaned /lubed the washers, adjusted the tension and blue locktited it.

6ad4e4fc88.jpg

The blade is solid like a rock with no play (even a virtual one :)) in any direction. The lock is as solid too. The blade is perfectly centered.

92a8d89394.jpg

48ada98620.jpg

As I sharpen the knife I put a bit of a convex edge on it.

e1abbc5722.jpg

It keeps the edge well and I trust this knife with anything I need to do in my everyday life.

06771557b0.jpg

c707864286.jpg

After maintenance work today. The blade looks more and more stonewashed:)
51ad54cb23.jpg

Nice review looks like a heck of of knife for everyday carry Thanks. :thumbup:

I just stumbled across this now - awesome review(s)! Exactly what I was looking for, and the pics for size comparison are very helpful, too.

I guess my hunt for one begins :)

I need to dig mine out and put it into my mini-rotation for EDC. It's a great knife.

A well deserved bump for my soon to arrive new knife. Hopefully, I'll be able to get past the somewhat checkered history of the designer/owners.

Nice job, as usual, lava.

Assuming you get a PT with a lock that opens and closes smoothly, I agree that the clip and pivot are probably the biggest issues.

While your PT requires a spanner tool to adjust its pivot, there is no tool at this writing to adjust the pivot on the new model, which has a proprietary pivot. Hard-core Strider fans are making their own pivot tools. The rest of us will hope that our PTs don't need adjusting while we wait for a tool to be made.

I always enjoy the comparisons in your reviews to other models. I prefer the slightly larger small Seb Insingo to the PT.

But I was delighted to see this observation from Stan:

The best part about the Strider PT is that it fits within the blade length limits set by many of the higher-speed school in the U.S. Army i.e. Ranger, SERE, SFAS etc thus it can be carried virtually anywhere throughout a career.
-Stan

Which makes the PT a fine gift for service members. :)

The new version of the PT, with new pivot, has been out for several months.

Availability is another question.

Bump and thank you for the review.
I have a few Striders (SMF and 2 SNGs) and i can see how the need to hoard them becomes pretty addictive.
I have had great communication and customer service from the company.
They stand behind their product with passion and pride.

I have been hunting for a PT for a few weeks now, hope have one in my sights soon.

Back