Strider Sng and NJ

I have a new Sng on order and am thinking about it being my EDC. However, because it has a 4 inch blade I am looking for opinions about the legal consequences of me carrying this in my pocket on a daily basis in NJ. I do a lot of camping, hiking, outdoor stuff, but during the week it would be traveling with me from home to work, store, etc.

i see nothing in the new jersey laws that would restrict carrying of your sng. it specifically mentions carrying while hiking/hunting is legal.

just stay away from any schools/colleges/universities and you should be fine.

Isn't the whole 'easily opened' thing an issue though? From the reading I have done, it seems like NJ has a very open ended interpretation of the law. Open ended not for our, the enthusiasts, benefit.

You Can't really have any kind of pocket knife at all in N.J. unless you have a ''Good reason''. N.J. has the very worst laws in the U.S. for knives. or anything for that matter. do alittle research on the net, or here and you'll find the horror stories.

Isn't the whole 'easily opened' thing an issue though? From the reading I have done, it seems like NJ has a very open ended interpretation of the law. Open ended not for our, the enthusiasts, benefit.

- 2C:39-1 h. "Gravity knife" means any knife which has a
blade which is released from the handle or sheath thereof
by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal
force... p. "Switchblade knife" means any knife or similar
device which has blade which opens automatically by hand
pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in
the handle of the knife... u. "Ballistic knife" means any
weapon or other device capable of lethal use and which can
propel a knife blade.

this is the section re: opening method. all laws are written similar to this, it allows application in varying circumstances. any law that is too specific becomes obsolete quickly.

if an sng, or any knife, opens too easily, tighten the pivot screw.

the biggest factor in determining whether a knife is legal is the totality of circumstances surrounding the detention of the subject/finding of the knife.

there are far too many different scenarios to cover.

there is no guarantee, officer discretion is also always a factor. some officers will arrest no matter what.

bottom line, if you dont give police a reason to search/arrest, you lessen the risk.

- 2C:39-1 h. "Gravity knife" means any knife which has a
blade which is released from the handle or sheath thereof
by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal
force... p. "Switchblade knife" means any knife or similar
device which has blade which opens automatically by hand
pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in
the handle of the knife... u. "Ballistic knife" means any
weapon or other device capable of lethal use and which can
propel a knife blade.

this is the section re: opening method. all laws are written similar to this, it allows application in varying circumstances. any law that is too specific becomes obsolete quickly.

if an sng, or any knife, opens too easily, tighten the pivot screw.

I think that was already assumed by all.

I said it was open ended, you agreed.

perhaps you and i agree, however many people have difficulty interpreting legal sections and codes, evidenced by this forum. many do not understand why laws are written the way they are.

Back