Strider SnG Owners.....

I was wondering how you like your SnG's? How well do they hold up over a long time? I just got a new SnG from Plaza Cutlery with the tumbled finish and OD greed handle. Locks up rock solid with zero play and opens and closes really smooth. It may become my favorite folder for EDC!

On thing I noticed that may become a problem is the G10 around the screws on the outside edge of the handle is really thin. Can this crack/break/chip if it is dropped and lands on that thin G10

i have had a 3 SnG's and 2 SmF's, also a AR & GB, all have been excellent knives for sure with nary a problem.

as far as the G10 cracking/breaking, i suppose anything can break given the right (or wrong lol) conditions but i know its not a common problem with SnG's or SmF's.

i wouldnt worry about it.

I have had an SnGfor close on 3 years now. My only real gripe with it was that the pivot screw would come loose regularly. A minor annoyance leading to some blade play but, after winding it almost all the way out and putting a few drops of Loctite on it and retightening to remove blade play but still open reasonably well, it seems to be working OK now.

I managed to snap the point off the blade too but this was more my fault rather than any fault in the knife. I've now reprofied it to a more rounded tip and, for my purposes at least, I think this is a better configuration.

There are knives around that are much better for fine slicing and cutting tasks but, if you want a solid folder that will stand up to a bit of abuse, the SnG will certainly do the job.

sngtip.jpg

I have a DDC SnG CC and no problems whatsoever. But at days end, it's no better nor worse than any other good brand name folder. If it cuts, it's good enough for me.

Matador-

Last edited:
For me the SnG was a logical choice.

I bought the Buck version a few years ago and found that I liked the ergos of the handle. I also liked the blade choil and how the handle allows for different grips. The only thing I didn't like about the Buck was the thin liner and yet I didn't like the finish on most of the SnG's blades. So when I found an SnG with a tumbled blade I bought it.

I haven't used the SnG all that hard, but the materials are all top notch, my particular knife is perfect ( as far as fit and finish).

I bought a Buck, too, and it led me to the SnG. I got a Ranger Green droppoint, and I've never been disappointed with it.

The S30V blade never seems to need sharpening. I use it a lot working in a CNC sheet metal shop, cutting off glove cuffs against pallets, or slashing shrink wrap around stacked parts. The edge will bump galvanized, hot rolled, nails, and such all day. It doesn't ever dull enough to need an immediate resharpening , and will still cut me if I'm not careful.

The Strider ergonomics are great, but work even better in real Ti and G10, unlike my Buck. I've never dropped it - the actual using grip is phenomenal, especially compared to most anodized finishes, slick woods, bone, antler, etc. If you're prone to dropping expensive knives made of fragile natural materials, a SnG will at least take the abuse.

The flamed Ti finish is deep and really shrugs off wear. The striped blade, well, it will rust on the bead blast stripes if ignored. I love the look of stonewash, but for durability, the best finish would be the black oxide left from the vacuum heat treat. Given time, that would be a great patina. It will be anyway.

I can't break it, I don't have sharpen it, and it's a Strider. None of my other knives come close, except for the Benchmade CQC7, and it's that, a tanto blade. Not quite as good a utility user for me. CRKT, Buck, Kershaw, old Gerbers, Benchmade, none have had the exact combination, which really stands out and works when it's all together.

It's the best all around working EDC I've ever used.

Sounds like a theme, I also have the Buck versions and liked the ergos so I got an SNG stonewashed blade last week. Too early to answer the original question about how it holds up but it sure looks like it will. Seems to be well built and stout. I do have a Strider RCC, different knife, but it has held up well. IMHO I don't think you can go wrong wiht a Strider if you're loooking for a tough use knife.

Floating around on the 'net someplace are pics of an early SnG that was pounded on with a sledge hammer by Mr. Strider. The knife pretty well withstood that abuse.

I would not worry about the G10.

I've EDC'ed my Gen VI for three or four years and used it pretty heavily with no problems. My favorite features are how well it holds an edge and the shape of the handle which fits my hand extremely well.

The SnG will last and last under anything close to reasonable use......and probably unreasonable use as well. :D

Cheers,
dan :)

Thanks guys! I'll try to post pictures soon!

How does G10 compair to Carbon Fiber?

This is my SNG.

The knife had some serious problems when it arrived a while back, like a very bad lockup with much up and down bladeplay, and a stop pin that fell out of the blade while opening and closing the knife.
Started a thread on Bladeforums about this some time ago which continued for quite a while, and in the end had the offer from one of the Strider employees to send it back.
But being on the other side of the ocean and living in a country where custom officials are downright thieves, i decided to correct the problems myself.

I managed to get hold of another, bigger stop-pin that consisted of two parts which i press-fitted into the existing hole using some Locktite.
The titanium slab needed some adjustment where the stop-pin hits it when open, but in the end everything worked out fine.
Also bended the locking part of the titanium a little further inward.
The pivot screw is held in position with a little bit of white teflon tape, the stuff that plumbers use.

The knife now opens with a loud 'clack', and has a perfect lockup without any form of bladeplay whatsoever.

Since then this SNG has become a major part of my EDC, together with a Spyderco Military SE.
It's used mainly for cutting down heavy cardboard boxes, opening tough blister packages, and a variety of other duties, sometimes even light prying.

It is my opinion that the carbides in S30V need enough support from it's matrix to stay in place and keep performing, especially for more heavy duty cutting, so after some testing i have given the blade a convex edge with a
40 degree microbevel, which is easily maintained on the Spyderco Sharpmaker.
The blade keeps this edge for a very long time for me.

The handle design however is what sets this knife apart form others.
It allows me a secure and rocksolid grip in a few different handpositions while exerting quite a lot of force on the knife itself.
There is no way your hand is going to slip forward or backwards.

I now also have the models SMF and GB.

One flaw I noticed today is that when the blade is closed it overlaps the lanyard hole so if you use a lanyard the blade will cut it. Is that normal for this model? There is really no where the lanyard hold could be place because of the blade posisioning.

Thanks guys! I'll try to post pictures soon!

How does G10 compair to Carbon Fiber?

its a lot cheaper than carbon fibre for one thing, i dont think it looks as "cool", imagine it wears just as well though.

a few yrs ago it looked like carbon fibre was gonna be the next big thing, everyone was offering new models with C/F handles and such, the craze kinda slowed down for whatever reasons.

One flaw I noticed today is that when the blade is closed it overlaps the lanyard hole so if you use a lanyard the blade will cut it. Is that normal for this model? There is really no where the lanyard hold could be place because of the blade posisioning.

I noticed this problem with the Buck/Strider/Tarani police model I own and I've seen this complaint mirrored on other Strider threads. I don't understand why they put the hole there.

The SnG is a great design, but the S30V is less than desireable.
Get one, they make a great EDC.

The SnG is a nice size for a beefy folder. My only nit pick with it, it would be nice if some of the notches along the spine were more "melted" and if the G-10 in that area was also rounded a bit. It is rough on my hand when trying to slice tough stuff and I'm usually not wearing gloves.

Rich

I think the best Strider influenced kinfe is the Kershaw ZT 0302 - the Strider Onion mix is just awesome. I could never see myself buying a Strider only knife though.

I noticed this problem with the Buck/Strider/Tarani police model I own and I've seen this complaint mirrored on other Strider threads. I don't understand why they put the hole there.

I found out is is designed that way and it is intended for the lanyard to be installed through one hole only. It is answered on Striders Website in the FAQ.

Speaking solely about the folders themselves: The SnG and PT by Strider are both fine folders. Home runs really with many things going for them that other competitive brands don't offer. The choil is a big plus, the easy opening even with gloved hands also, as well as, the light weight, available blade shapes, finish choices, G10 color choices, stripes or no stripes option, and the Hinderer lock stabalizer (SnG only) all come together to make for a wonderfully complete folder that walks the walk and usually works quite well for everyone associated with one.

About the only complaint I here from folks other than the price of one for a production folder is that the clips grab better than a lot of suspenders do and can chew up pockets until adjusted to suit you. The texture can be a bit abrasive at first and they seem to have a small rep (ok maybe a medium rep :D) for some lock stick problems. Sounds like you got a good one but personally I kind of like a bit of stick on my own frame lock carry knives and all the SnGs and PTs I have had stuck just right for my tastes and the lock ups were quite good at first. I did find that the locks were inadequately sprung to continue to self correct and I had to take mine apart on two of the four I've owned to spring the lock a bit more to make it travel out farther. Once done that was all it ever needed though. I had to do this to my most PT also but its a fine folder and it likes gettin' beat up which is something I've seen in all the Strider folder I have had. They like the rough stuff. :D

STR

Back