1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Strip My Gerber MP600 For Maintenance

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by tangstamp, Nov 1, 2018.

1. tangstamp

tangstamp

Jun 29, 1999
    Hey all,

I have a Gerber MP600 I want to strip for cleaning. Some of the tools are sticking and hard to open due to buildup. Soaking the tool in a cleaning solution isn't helping. What tool will remove the tamper-resistant screws holding the tools inside the handles? It looks like a large size spanner head.

Terry

2. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    I suggest trying brake cleaner or starting fluid sprayed liberally into the tool before attempting disassembly. I don't have a tool of that model so I don't know what size spanner it will take. I would also advise putting it in a pan of boiling water for a few minutes before attempting to remove the screws, as they are most likely installed with high strength threadlocker. They could also conceivably be left hand thread, but I doubt they are.

3. tangstamp

tangstamp

Jun 29, 1999
    Thanks for the suggestions. I called Gerber Customer Service. They were great, as usual, but not willing to suggest tools to take my MP600 apart. Seems a few folks have hurt themselves and now Gerber only recommends the tool be sent in under warranty. Ah, well. I appreciate your response. I'll give it a try.

4. Mahoney

Mahoney

Mar 8, 2006
    I've taken an MP 600 apart with ordinary pliers, it will score up the heads of the pivot assembly a bit. Right hand thread, some heat will help soften the thread locker. You can hold a soldering iron on the screw head for a few minutes to heat it. Re-assembly is quite fiddly, the tabs on the washers between each tool must be aligned precisely in a slot. Tweezers and patience are a must