Stripped and COFFEE DARKENED SR-101

Just wanted to share with you guys this user Rodent 7's before and after.

I used EZ strip to get rid of the tanker grey coating, then used my Shapton Glass whetstones #1000 and #4000 to get a ghetto mirror polish, then submerged the blade in some Nestle instant coffee for 3 hours.

Surprisingly, the finish turned out to be almost jet black!!
I think it has the potential to look really cool if I had cleaned the blade more thrououly and make the finish more even.

Haven't decided yet if I want to go through with another step of stone washing the blade, since I was hoping to retain as much of the rust resistance properties from coffee darkening as possible.

That looks NICE!
Did you start out with the coffee hot or just cold all the way?

Just wanted to share with you guys this user Rodent 7's before and after.

I used EZ strip to get rid of the tanker grey coating, then used my Shapton Glass whetstones #1000 and #4000 to get a ghetto mirror polish, then submerged the blade in some Nestle instant coffee for 3 hours.

Surprisingly, the finish turned out to be almost jet black!!
I think it has the potential to look really cool if I had cleaned the blade more thrououly and make the finish more even.

Haven't decided yet if I want to go through with another step of stone washing the blade, since I was hoping to retain as much of the rust resistance properties from coffee darkening as possible.

Looks great. Like a caveman I just throw a wire wheel in my drill and blast it with that after stripping to get the decarb off.. night and day difference applying the patina afer that eh

I use a ScotchBrite wheel, and put the drill in a vice for a ghetto grinder. Always wear cut resistant gloves.

Back