Recommendation? Stripped Screws

Each their own sir...
I am personally not to fond of whacking tiny things with hammers. I tend to smash the hell out of tiny things.

Each their own.

Not to troll... Could you post something that shows Spyd. guys using hammers to bust Lock Tite loose?
In my experience Lock Tite is far to pliable to fracture or just let loose.
In fact I have broken a 2.75" transmission output shaft that had the main gear lock tite'd in. It was indeed a sledge hammer that shattered the shaft, and the bolt was still embedded in threaded boss with lock-tite

No. Do you really think that Spyderco is going to let somebody with a camera into their facility to take pictures to post on the web? I mean, c'mon dude. When's the last time you saw any unrehearsed pics from a work area at Spyderco? Like never?

When is the last time you saw any unrehearsed pics from any big knife company's work area? I'd bet the answer is the same.

If you go to the Spyderco forum, you will find a Spyderco employee talking about removing the loctited screws and how the techs do it. That's as good as it gets.

And if you're calling me out, you know what you can do with that.

I have used a deadblow hammer in conjunction with a torx bit to break the loctite free. It works perfectly well. Of course, if you're going to insist on implicating that I'm a liar...well it's your lost and you've made the list.

Reactions: Mo2
If you go to the Spyderco forum, you will find a Spyderco employee talking about removing the loctited screws and how the techs do it. That's as good as it gets.

And if you're calling me out, you know what you can do with that.

Respectfully sir,
I believe verified facts. Until I see some sort of proof of your statement it means nothing more than spilled milk.

If YOU hammer lock-tite out... fine. I still do not think it is possible nor do I believe (from my experience) it can be done. LockTite is a plastic compound, an acrylic It will absorb shock.
I can't imagine those tiny threads surviving a hammer blow without damage even if there were NO lock-tite.

Now I will concede that smacking RUSTED threads with a forceful shock will separate the oxide into flakes allowing disassembly. Even metal to metal stubborn joins are beaten out with impact drivers (ie: hammer).
Lock_Tite removal has two methods... Heat, and chemical breakdown.

So if you can provide some evidence that Spydee guys hit their knives with dead blows to remove THEIR Lock-tite... I'll be a big fan of the method.
Till then I have other methods that are not so scary to me.

Quote:
"Do you really think that Spyderco is going to let somebody with a camera into their facility to take pictures to post on the web?"

Ummm. Yes! I do.
Well maybe not of them hitting their knives with hammers to loosen a screw but the other departments I think would be fine with video...

Last edited:
Respectfully sir,
I believe verified facts. Until I see some sort of proof of your statement it means nothing more than spilled milk.

If YOU hammer lock-tite out... fine. I still do not think it is possible nor do I believe (from my experience) it can be done. LockTite is a plastic compound, an acrylic It will absorb shock.
I can't imagine those tiny threads surviving a hammer blow without damage even if there were NO lock-tite.

Now I will concede that smacking RUSTED threads with a forceful shock will separate the oxide into flakes allowing disassembly. Even metal to metal stubborn joins are beaten out with impact drivers (ie: hammer).
Lock_Tite removal has two methods... Heat, and chemical breakdown.

So if you can provide some evidence that Spydee guys hit their knives with dead blows to remove THEIR Lock-tite... I'll be a big fan of the method.
Till then I have other methods that are not so scary to me.

Quote:
"Do you really think that Spyderco is going to let somebody with a camera into their facility to take pictures to post on the web?"

Ummm. Yes! I do.
Well maybe not of them hitting their knives with hammers to loosen a screw but the other departments I think would be fine with video...
Shocking loctite screws is a thing. It does work.

Back