1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Stripper update: new models

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by co556guy, Sep 24, 2018.

1. co556guy

co556guy

Dec 13, 2011
    So I just stripped my BGTG, DS6 and my Hog badger. Looks like Busse etched their makers mark nice and deep into the steel. If the rest are made like mine, which I suspect they might.....no etching needed unless you like the mark deep.

Just a FYI.

Oh, the Hog badger was a CG.

Can't tell you about the DS6 as the coating on that thing is taking 2 rounds of citristrip (currently on round 2).

And, the steel on the Hog badger looks like it was a doublecut model with a coating applied. Really smooth underneath, no grind lines like my Rodent 6 had. It's going to be really easy to polish up.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    evltcat, clampdaddy and luethge like this.
  2. Cheesehead_Slasher

Cheesehead_Slasher

Apr 21, 2016
    Let's see some pictures!! :)

3. co556guy

co556guy

Dec 13, 2011
    Uploaded a pic of the 4 I stripped today. I don't think that the DS6's logo is going to stay once I start sanding. The BGTG's logo is REALLY well etched though.

Ignore the 511, it's in the middle of being polished up, so it looks like crap in this particular stage (sanding out the grind marks from my slow water cooled grind wheel that I used to get to bare metal and get rid of the grind marks).

4. Cheesehead_Slasher

Cheesehead_Slasher

Apr 21, 2016
    Now the hard work begins. Sanding, sanding, and more sanding.... I'll wait to see the pictures as you progress.

5. UDDwaine

UDDwaine

Apr 8, 2007
    [​IMG]

:)

6. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Stroppers are wonderful.

7. co556guy

co556guy

Dec 13, 2011
    [​IMG][​IMG]

So, yes...sanding sanding and more sanding has gotten me to here.

It's looking really good, not sure how polished I want to take it, but I'm already liking it a lot better than I did before.

The steel under the coating and after I removed the decarb was really nice and smooth. Barely any grind lines, definitely 1000x less than my rodent 6 had (that thing took a ton of sanding to smooth out).

But as much as I have handled this knife in the process, it really gave me an appreciation for it. Balances well, handle feels good, nice size. Really happy with this purchase. I actually like it better than my DS6 due to the thinner blade stock. The DS6 will be sticking around for sure, but this thing is a winner.

8. Kenneth F Huls

Kenneth F Huls Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Cool pics! Thank you. I resurrect here and now because I have a HOG Badger in desert sage and green micarta being delivered today (!). I have never kept a coated blade unstripped (yeah, even my precious 3B2 - I know, heresy and desecrations and all, but all my blades are users, I never resell, and I like what I like!). I always end up doing it and so I know the inevitable this weekend no matter how much I may like the color combo.

So, any other photos of strippers that have not been shared (this is all I could find on search)? Anyone else stripped the HOG Badger? And, if so, was the naked blade pretty smooth and free of machine marks, etc? I know the DC on this one was likely an anomaly and all.

Also, I know some have said the slabs are a bit thin for them, but I pretty much always sand down and re-contour quite a bit to fit my taste and feel despite my pretty large bits. So this one might just be perfect as is!

Thanks, HOGS!

Ken

Leonardo63 likes this.
  9. Leonardo63

Leonardo63 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2017
    Strippers are great! Lots of stripping going on around here and a personal fan of it myself. One thing I'm not a fan of is plastic coatings hiding shiny hard steel just waiting for me to bring it outside!
    As for what lies beneath, it's a crap shoot. Most likely there's going to be some grinder gremlins but to what extent? won't know till you get there. The cleanest blades will be full flat grinds but with the saber grind of the Hog Badger, probably be some on the flats. I have 1 knife I'd like to strip, but I can see big chatter even through the coating so have decided to leave it go for now. Other's I've done I stoned out by hand to perfect *ungodly amount of time* a couple others stoned out to some degree and finished up with progressive levels of rouge on on the buffer as good enough for a user.
    Got to the point if it's available in comp finish, big dc or satin I go that way but not everything is offered that way and only come coated.
    The biggest challenge is preserving that Busse logo, outside of that, stripping is fun! :D ~ I like making them my own and like you, I'm keeping em :D

10. Kenneth F Huls

Jul 11, 2012
    Leonardo, your experience has been similar to mine. I have, however, always wondered if with particular models - such as this HOG Badger - whether there were similarities to what lies beneath. I have never stripped more than one of a model series (at least within the same run), so was wondering about experiences to date with the HOG-B. It is kinda like a fortune cookie or a gift-wrapped present. You never know what you are gonna find. Treasure hunts are fun! Myself, and though I work a lot on handles, spines, choils, thumb rests, and pommels, I usually leave the blades, themselves, untouched once revealed. I actually like gray decarb and don't mind a rough finish if presented - at least on Busses. It is odd since I prize a professional polish by a master togishi on my traditional Japanese style blades. Weird, but there it is!

My HOG Badger arrived last night and I must say I LOVE IT! I don't think I have to do a darn thing to these scales - which is a first. They are purrrfect for me as is! Cool! Love the balance, ergos, blade, everything!!! What a fantastic all-'rounder! I put her up next to my 3B2 and to my amazement, the blade is nearly as big! - just shorter in the handle (but not too short). Wow. BIG BADGER! True HOG! Can't wait to put her in the bath!

Leonardo63 likes this.
  11. drift draft

drift draft

May 12, 2007
    I’ve stripped some so nice underneath they sparkle. Others not so much.

12. Kenneth F Huls

Jul 11, 2012
    I hear ya', drift draft. My ASHBM was pretty much a satin!
    Were you speaking about multiple stripped HOG Badgers, or just in general?

thanks!

13. drift draft

drift draft

May 12, 2007
    Sorry, I just mean't in general as I havert stripped a Hog Badger yet.

14. Kenneth F Huls

Jul 11, 2012
    NO worries! thanks

15. Kenneth F Huls

Jul 11, 2012
    I cannot believe I am both thinking this and writing this, but I like the Desert Sage/Green (canvas?) Micarta combo so much - at least initially - that I have not yet stripped her (HOG Badger) and am wondering if her fate may be to remain clothed. SO strange!

This HOG Badger is kinda - kinda a LOT - like a mini-3B2, which in turn is of course like a leaner, shallower ASH-1. All of which might explain why I am liking it so much. Love at first touch!

WatermanChris likes this.
  16. Kenneth F Huls

Jul 11, 2012
    Well, the inevitable happened yesterday. HOG Badger stripped and green micarta hand shaped. As reported by the OP, mine, too, looks like it was to be a DC or something. Perfectly smooth, no grind marks, dimples, etc. and nice decarb, too, which I will keep as I just love the tool look it gives.

The green micarta started out pretty tan or natural but really turned a nice olive with sanding and oiling as others have mentioned elsewhere. I Love it!

Last thing I will mention is the beautiful chamfers on all the edges, which were completely hidden by the thick, rough coating. BEAUTIFUL machining!!! And it eliminates the desire to do my home modder meltdown treatment, too. No sharp edges. So so impressed!

I am going to try to attach pics now. Will see if it works. If not, will add as soon as I can.

17. Kenneth F Huls

Jul 11, 2012
    hmmm. mayhap I need to actually break down and buy a membership! ok

18. Kenneth F Huls

Jul 11, 2012
    IMG_1023.jpg IMG_1022.jpg IMG_1021.jpg IMG_1020.jpg IMG_1019.jpg

luethge and clampdaddy like this.
  19. clampdaddy

clampdaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2013
    That happened to me with sage and black canvas. I knew I liked black canvas and that I was going to strip every blade I got, so each time I ordered my standard black canvas and then a different colored blade, just to see what it looked like in person. Only made it a few colors in when I hit sage and now I have three in that color combo that I don't see myself ever stripping.

20. Kenneth F Huls

Jul 11, 2012
    [QUOTE="clampdaddy, post: 19091132, member: 355663" "That happened to me with sage and black canvas. I knew I liked black canvas and that I was going to strip every blade I got, so each time I ordered my standard black canvas and then a different colored blade, just to see what it looked like in person. Only made it a few colors in when I hit sage and now I have three in that color combo that I don't see myself ever stripping."[/QUOTE]
    I really did like the color, but it is just so thick and chunky. Steel is supposed to be sleek! So I get it :thumbsup:, but as you can see I could not hold off any longer. To thine own self be true! ;)

clampdaddy likes this.