Stripping advice

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by Robdude, May 14, 2020.

1. TomP

TomP

Apr 6, 2020
    Where can I get the etchant? I’ve searched and only came up with Radio Shack. Is it something I can get from HD or Lowe’s?

2. hydeinmind

hydeinmind Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Thank your sir! It has worked very well for me. Its a real treat to use this method around the handles since it peals the coating off without scratching the slabs. I don't bother taping off the handle slabs either as the citristrip and high pressure hot water doesn't seem to hurt them any at all! Sometimes they even look better afterwards!

Kenneth F Huls likes this.
  3. hydeinmind

hydeinmind Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Nine volt battery, four alligator clips, two small insulated wires, Qtips and salt water and you can etch as deep as you want if the coating is still on around the Busse logo!

lmcq784, VashHash and TomP like this.
  4. TomP

TomP

Apr 6, 2020
    That helps, brother! Changed search from “etchant” and “etch” to “9 volt alligator”. Sounds safer too.

hydeinmind likes this.
  5. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    There is NOTHING safe about a 9volt alligator....

o_O;)o_O

Nuter, uGAshooter and TomP like this.
  6. VashHash

VashHash

Aug 11, 2009
    I usually just wrap wires around the battery and tape them. Use a paper clip to ground out the blade and wrap the other wire on the q tip. Put some water in the microwave and get it almost boiling. Then just dump a bunch of salt and mix it up.

[​IMG]

Forgot the after picture.
    [​IMG]

lmcq784, hydeinmind and TomP like this.
  7. TomP

TomP

Apr 6, 2020
    I used 4 q-tips fo far (both sides). I can feel there is an edge on the logo when I pass the q-tip over it.

How do you know when you've etched enough? The logo is still very clear, with no blown out lines.

Edit: I went over it a few more times. Close up picture added below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  8. Leonardo63

Leonardo63 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2017
    It is my personal preference to use the electrical method and the etching solution is extremely aggressive and can reduce the sharp edges. I think the proper way using electolosis would be to use a real power supply unit to dial the voltage in precisely. I used a battery charger and it was super slow but got the job done. But I have to say you can't discount the results above by VashHash. That looks really deep, super clean and beautifully squared off edges :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: That is the way you want it to turn out the way I see it.

9. VashHash

VashHash

Aug 11, 2009
    The real question is how deep do you want the logo? I did a BT6 really deep and it came out well.
    I can't say there's an exact number of times to do something. I just like to really be able to feel the logo with my fingernail. Also if you have infi dimples anywhere around the logo it'll make it look less prominent with a lighter etch.

[​IMG]

Here's the raider
    [​IMG]

10. lex2006

lex2006 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 20, 2014
    Be safe and do it outside do not breathe in these fumes they are Bad.
    I did this one quite deep maybe 5 or 6 swabs luckily the details stayed clear.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Tony G

Tony G Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 14, 2006
    I have put my mistresses on a pole before I striped 'em

lex2006 likes this.
  12. VashHash

VashHash

Aug 11, 2009
    I forgot about that. Usually have a fan blowing them away. The fumes remind me of hydrochloric acid eating aluminum foil. Not good at all. That would actually cause the acid to boil or at least get super hot.

13. TomP

TomP

Apr 6, 2020
    All stripped. Used Scotchbrite pad and 00 steel wool after. Not sure if I'll go further or leave like this.

I REALLY appreciate the help. Sorry, @Robdude for jumping into your thread, but it's all good info here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Nuter

Nuter Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2020
    I have a question to guys which did bead blasting after stripping.
    I have two kind of blasting media avaliable - coarse grey (kind of Chris Reeve sebenza) and white - very delicate one - silky smooth finish.
    1. do you protect scales with tape?
    2. what kid of blasting media would be best to use? maybe both? start with coarse and finish with silky smooth?

15. JACKMANDU

JACKMANDU Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 10, 2019
    9132DB99-ACBF-4E2C-949A-3D57C8504AA9.jpeg

I have had great results with this product. Found it on amazon.

I apply a few drops on the logo with a q-tip. Let it sit for 30 min , then rinse with hot water and scrub with toothbrush and dish soap. Dry and repeat. I do about 8 rounds of this. Total of 4 hrs etching.

3FA293B9-9984-4E25-A85D-94058AF35D65.jpeg

Leonardo63, VashHash and TomP like this.
  16. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Leave it and beat it. Looks good!

TomP likes this.
  17. AZTimT

AZTimT The Stripetition Finish Guy

Oct 15, 2009
    Handles aren't bothered physically by the chemicals, but the etchant may darken them up if it gets on micarta.

18. lmcq784

lmcq784 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2010
    For those who do this with a power supply, what's your preferred voltage and current settings? I'd really like some guidance on this. :thumbsup:
    I'd prefer doing this with a power supply than using ferric chloride (which I've tried before).

19. VashHash

VashHash

Aug 11, 2009
    The 9v works pretty well and you can do multiple knives with one.

TomP and tinfoil hat timmy like this.
  20. dogboye

dogboye Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 1999
    i didn't have much luck with the battery. I use etchant.