stropping

Which side of a belt would you use when stropping a knife?

When would you use this technique? I mean what does it do to the edge exactly?

Thanks
A sharpening tyro

My strop, which I generally use as a daily maintenance, is comprised of a slab of Corian with a piece of leather on each side (www.handamerican.com). The unfinished side is then treated with a Cromium Oxide Paste (the green stuff) that comes with the strop. This is a very fine grit paste so it finishes off the edge; removing a small burr if one exists. The other side is bark tanned and is used as is. That is used last and puts the final polish to the edge.

I also believe that a strop, like a packer's steel (perfectly smooth stainless) realigns the edge.

Search for stropping which will give you ideas on techniques. If done incorrectly, you'll do more harm than good to the edge.

On all the strops I've made from leather scraps I've used the rough as I thought that was proper. It works fine, but recently I've been noticing that all the factory made stropmakers say that the smooth side is best. I'm thinking of getting one of the handamerican strops to save myself the hassle of making a new paddle again. Strops are used to give sharpened edges a final polish, very commonly used on barber's straight razors. I find them absolutely essential to removing the leftover small burr after sharpening/steeling.

I know that some of you seasoned PROs are going to think I am wacky but I have never asked anyone this: Can you make a strop out of any other material other than leather? IF so what could you use? Also I do know that jeweler's rouge makes a great polishing compound to impregnate a strop with. What other types of micro-abrasive and/or polishing media is also good to use with a strop. I welcome "comparing notes" with other forum members. you can contact me at joedot@swbell.net

Chromium Oxide seems to be the most popular stropping compound. And yes, you can make strops out of a host of things other than leather. Cardboard, denim, canvas, etc. There's also one kind of strop out there that uses what looks like highly compressed paper or something, it's usually refered to as some kind of composite.

felt works too. Heck, a buffing wheel will "strop" the edge" if done properly.

Anything that is "forgiving" but tough enough to hold in some compound.

FWIW, I use the rough side (very rough) of the leather to do my sharpening. Works great.

This may sound strange, but I have found that the paper in an older hard bound book works real well. Open book somewhere around the middle, pull blade (spine first) across the page, matching edge bevel as close as possible. Several passes on each side usually removes the bur and gives a scary sharp edge. I don't recommend using a signed first edition, but old books can be had for cheap just about anywhere. Hope this helps, Marty. :cool: :D

Thanks guys. I had heard of cardboard type material which would be consistent with those older books and the material they are made of. I have a strop I bought from a guy who was a pro on Straight Razors. This strop is made from Russian Boar leather/pigskin. Is the grade of leather really that much of a determining factor? I paid a pretty nickel for the Russian Boar strop and have never used it.

I think I will start a thread here on this Forum section on steeling a blade. I have 4 different knife steels and I would like to know more about them. I look forward to your replies on blade steeling. JD

I don't think you need to use the expensive Russian leather strop for a knife. Save it for a straight razor.

The conventional wisdom says that rougher leather holds compounds better. Smooth leather is good for finishing without any compound.

You'd want to take a straight razor to leather without any abrasive compound as the last step.

I,ll have to try that book technique . I,m pretty good at sharpening so I guess stropping is the next step . Where is the easieast and less expensive place to get chromium paste ? Is there other less expensive and more available stuff ?

I went to a lapidary shop and found some in the powder form. Mixed a little of the powder with mineral oil and rubbed it into the strop. Seems to work well. Just remember, a little of the powder goes a long way.

Back