Strops

Do strops work that well? Is it posiible to just use a strop with abrassive compounds to maintain an infi edge? The fact that leather contours to the convex edge is solid evidence! I thought I had the sharpening thing figured out! the learning process never ends.
Thanks to my Busse bros and sistas,
Bill

A simple smooth steel and a loaded strop will maintain the edge on an INFI blade for a long time. However after awhile the carbides in the edge will wear. Once this happens the blade will still shave hair but will have little or no bite as the carbides are all rounded. You will then want to take it to a hone and grind a fresh edge on it.

-Cliff

Cliff,

What is your preferred "smooth steel"? I have only been able to find diamond coated or other similar sharpening steels. Also, what do you recommend for loading the strop (I plan to use some thick scrap leather)?

Thanks

Razor's Edge sells two smooth steels. I have the small folding one because I can carry it on me at all times. The large 12" one would be more functional.

Most hardware stores sell a variety of polishing compounds, and will probably give you a sample to work with. It would be worth your while to experiment with them. I am currently using a green Cr oxide based one by Lee Valley.

-Cliff

Cliff,

Thank you for the information. Do you have an address for the steels you mentioned? Also, thanks for the insights on sharpening the asymetrical edge.

To the most generous Clif,
So the symetrical edge must be sharpened stroking away from the edge on BOTH sides. Then the edge must be stroped on leather on BOTH sides. I guess convex edges must be sharpened while stroking away from the edge...I guess stroping takes care of the burr.Am I right?
Thanks cliff

Copis :

So the symetrical edge must be sharpened stroking away from the edge on BOTH sides. Then the edge must be stroped on leather on BOTH sides.

If the edge is v-ground, flat on both sides, you can just use a ceramic rod on both sides and stop there. The only reason you use a strop with the dual edge is that the ceramic rod cannot easily match the convex side of the bevel and you are correct there might be a small burr that needs to be ground off.

-Cliff

Thanks Clif. Time to buy one of those strops Andy recomended a while back.

Back