Stuart Branson Hunter

(SHEATH PICS ARE IN POST 26 BELOW)

After seeing Stuart Branson's first couple of knives posted here late last year, I sent him my sketch of a large hunter and asked if he'd be interested in building his interpretation. He was very humble and took a bit of convincing, but eventually agreed.

Here is the result, which I have to say is as close or closer a rendition to my sketch and to the spirit of my design as any I've had done. It's rendered in 3/16" 1095 and desert ironwood, 5 ½" blade point-to-hilt and 10" overall length:

WillsHunter_one.jpg

As I told Stuart, it's one thing to take a piece of steel and shape it and work on it until you arrive at a pleasing form. It's another thing entirely to take someone else's sketch and design parameters and faithfully produce the knife, fully as imagined. This is Stuart's seventh knife. I can only imagine the artistry in store for us from this man. Reverse side:

WillsHunter_two.jpg

Last edited:
I like it - please tell me he's doing a sheath as well.
I'm waiting on leather from Stuart myself.
Funny thing is I was just trading emails - asking him when he was going to start building knives to sell.

Congrats and enjoy it in good health

I like it - please tell me he's doing a sheath as well.
I'm waiting on leather from Stuart myself.
Funny thing is I was just trading emails - asking him when he was going to start building knives to sell.

Congrats and enjoy it in good health

Stuart does sheaths?!?!? :confused: :D

Thanks for the kind words, Michael. I'm honored to find myself among his earliest patrons. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
The guy has serious skills. You could tell from his first couple knives that he had a whole bunch figured out really early.

That is a really good lookng knife Will - hats off to you for the design. And congrats to Stuart on the very fine execution.

Roger

Tis a beauty!
Stuart, you are getting damn good at this.
Good on ya Will, for gettin Stu up and running:thumbup::cool:

Thanks everyone and thanks Will for the opportunity.

Will asked me about this back in Nov./Dec. I did the primary grinding back in April and had it heat treated then. It sat until last week in that state, me terrified to screw it up with my lack of experience on the grinder.

This knife is all Will. He sent me about 3 pages of instruction and design details, picked out the piece of ironwood and chose the black/red/black spacer. I was just the "assembly monkey". Ha. :p It's a fine design with a great feel and balance. Nice work Will.

You only had to wait 8 months for this to be completed. :rolleyes: :p

Last edited:
From collector to maker in around 1 years time but the knife looks like the makers been at it for sometime. Now all you need is one of his sheaths.

That's a really, really super job by Stuart on a well thought idea by Will. Its fun to see examples of a plan that's worked out so nicely.

John

What a beautiful knife ! Great job Stu, and a very nice design Will.
Cheers
Shant

Roger: With your refined collector's palate and as a successful knifemaker yourself, that is high praise indeed--thank you.

Lorien: Thank you, and if I succeeded in doing anything to encourage Stuart's development, I'm happy to take credit. :D

Boggs & Joe P: Thank you for the compliments. :thumbsup:

Raymond: Yeah, his development has taken a rather spectacular arc--I agree. Leatherwork to come.

John White: You are always so supportive and generous with your appreciation of others, which is a prize in itself coming from someone with your genius for working steel. Sincere thanks for your compliment.

To Rick, Nick & Shant: Thanks and I agree, Stu nailed this one!

Last edited:
Great Knife Will, Stuart makes a fantastic sheath and now he's building some awesome knives. Very nice Stuart, I look forward to seeing the sheath for this beauty. :thumbup:

Bill

Thanks Niko and Bill. :thumbup:

Thanks everyone and thanks Will for the opportunity.

Will asked me about this back in Nov./Dec. I did the primary grinding back in April and had it heat treated then. It sat until last week in that state, me terrified to screw it up with my lack of experience on the grinder.

This knife is all Will. He sent me about 3 pages of instruction and design details, picked out the piece of ironwood and chose the black/red/black spacer. I was just the "assembly monkey". Ha. :p It's a fine design with a great feel and balance. Nice work Will.

You only had to wait 8 months for this to be completed. :rolleyes: :p

For those few gullible enough to believe the "assembly monkey" remark above, Stuart performed this feat of magic from a simple line drawing. The "pages of instruction" I'm sure would be more accurately characterized as tedious ramblings of a self-absorbed old fart. He rates muchos kudos for putting up with my malarky, but I do deeply appreciate his sharing with me this special fruit of his considerable talent.

BTW Stuart, the reason Nick W knew you nailed the original sketch is that he's had a copy of it, along with my (unfilled :p) order, for over five years now. I wouldn't worry too much about taking eight months. :D

I realized today Stuart was the seventh maker I've commissioned this design to, and the knife is Stuart's seventh finished knife--in a way "a seventh son of a seventh son"? Thinking this blade should rightfully be christened, "Iron Maiden". :cool:

Last edited:
Wow, that's a great design Will. Stuart, it's hard to believe you're doing such great work already. I've done just enough forging and grinding to know hat knifemaking is a serious and difficult (for most of us "normal" people) jump from leatherwork. You're an inspiration.

Congrats to all!

Kudos to you both and thanks for posting this.

Will, I love that design! I'd have to handle it to be sure, but it looks like a real contender in the "if you could only have one" contest. Just seems to be the right size and have a lot of design features I would want in an all-arounder.

I'd sure be interested in your thoughts as you designed this.

Stuart, from the pics the fit & finish sure look great and to be able to follow someone else's design and come up with a knife of that quality on your seventh go-around is just outstanding!

Back