1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Sturdy, small profile knife

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by shadowspawn, Jan 17, 2013.

1. shadowspawn

shadowspawn

Jul 12, 2011
    So I've recently gotten a job at the nearby radioshack. My boss won't let me carry a knife any larger than my old Kershaw scallion so I'm in the market for a new knife. The scallion I have right now is a pretty good knife, but I don't trust it's flimsy liner lock when cutting open those thick plastic packages. Anyone have any suggestions for a sturdy, rugged folder under 2.5 inches in blade lenfth, preferably with a reversible clip that's easy to sharpen and under 250 bucks? I think I'd prefer a lockback but anything with a sturdy feel to it is fine so long ad it works for me.

2. Rypper

Rypper

Dec 5, 2012
    SOG Flash I

3. Random Dan

Random Dan

Jan 21, 2012
    If you thought you could stretch it to 2.75" you could get a Kershaw Cryo with a nice sturdy framelock.

4. jkwithawave

jkwithawave ..... Platinum Member

Sep 8, 2011
    G10 Dragonfly is just what you described.

5. Moxy

Moxy Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Another vote for the Spyderco Dragonfly

6. gooeytek

gooeytek

Jul 12, 2011
    yup, Dragonfly.

7. TwinStick

TwinStick

Jan 21, 2011
    Just get a box cutter for $1 at a hardware store.

8. timbit

timbit

Jul 21, 2011
    Wear a smatchet on your belt loop. Your boss will be too scared to say anything.

9. timbit

timbit

Jul 21, 2011
    Amazon has Gerber folding, locking, replaceable blade utility knives that are fab. 10 bucks. Feels like a real knife, but it IS a box cutter. I'd like to see your boss get mad about that.

10. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Part time maker, very very part time Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 25, 2012
    The Boker Albatross.It's a mini tank
    [​IMG][/url][/IMG]

11. Dan57

Dan57

Apr 8, 2012
    Spyderco Techno, Boker Subcom/Wharcom/Subclaw, Boker Subcom Titan.

ETA: The Scallion comes in a frame lock version too. Also, the liner lock on the Scallion you already have should hold up fine to opening boxes, it's not necessary to get a new knife for that. (Though of you're just using it as an excuse to get a new knife... I'm not one to judge ;))

12. BladeChick777

BladeChick777

Jun 20, 2011
    Spyderco Techno all the way. Small, solid, tank of a knife. Feels small in the pocket, fits in the hand like a big knife, is a beast that can cut just about anything, while still being able to slice. The CTS-XHP is pretty easy to sharpen, doesn't chip or roll easily, gets razor sharp and stays that way for a lengthy amount of time. Fit and finish is top notch and the knife oozes with quality. It's an excellent knife and is hands down the one I would get.

13. ozgooner

ozgooner

Sep 24, 2011
    Another vote for the Spyderco Dragonfly, preferably in ZDP-189 just coz it's so damn sexy

14. 357fan

357fan

May 23, 2009
    Dragonfly, I'd go for the spydie edge version though. It'll stay sharp for a long time, and make quick work of packing materials.

15. Czechmate

Czechmate

Feb 24, 2011
    Benchmade MPR, the M390 steel is :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

16. Jensen81

Jensen81

Oct 3, 2012
    Get a ZT-350. Slim profile. Built like a tank. Looks great and sharp as they come. Well under your $250 budget also.

17. shadowspawn

shadowspawn

Jul 12, 2011
    He gets mad about everything lol. In any case, that dragonfly looks pretty good so far. Techno and mpr are a little out of my budget range. How hard is the dragonfly on budget synthetic stones? Most of my materials were lost in the move so I'm relying on a 400 grit whetstone for keeping my knives sharp enough.

18. smeecogg

smeecogg

Oct 17, 2012
    lol!!!

19. shadowspawn

shadowspawn

Jul 12, 2011
    The biggest issue is the thick plastic casing the prepaid phones come in. If you ever stop by a place that sells Verizon prepaid phones, take a look at how stupid the packaging is. Everyone at work has had their hands cut up trying to pry those things open. Everyone at work also says we need a decent knife to cut those things apart. Thus I bring my own.

20. Czechmate

Czechmate

Feb 24, 2011
    If he gets mad about everything carry whatever you want... :D;)

LNIB and used MPR's are pretty inexpensive for what you get, usually $150 shipped or less and I thought your budget was $250?