Sub 5-inch OAL fixed blade

I've been in the market for a new fixed blade for EDC. I just remembered how much easier fixed blades are to care for, and given my innate paranoia, I feel they are sturdier. I sometimes even feel like my Spydercos are going to fall apart after cutting a few pieces of cardboard, though I should have no reason to believe so. :eek:

So I've been in the mood for a sub 5-inch (overall length) fixed blade. I know the La Griffe exists, and that is one sweet knife, but I prefer knives with straighter grinds. I'll probably end up buying the Griffe anyways... yeah. I'm open to a few nice suggestions! And hopefully, these suggestions aren't too pricey? :D

The HEST is a bit long, but is an awesome knife, super easy to pocket carry. I'm sure the Izula is even easier.

I was definitely thinking about the Izula. My main reason for it being sub-5 inches, though, was to fit inside my wallet. I appreciate the RAT Cutlery love, though, because they make some amazing knives.

Busse SAR-4 is 4 7/8", gorgeous, convex ground and indestructible!
Also check out the Makers forum. Stomper is making me a 5" Scout Jr and matching firesteel for a very reasonable price.

OOPS! Just read the OAL requirement!

Last edited:
This is my favorite small fixed. 4 1/8" OAL with a 1 1/2" blade. Mini-Nessmuck made by Stomper.

100_1157.jpg

It won't fit in a wallet with the scales, but it is much more comfortable to use than a skeleton handle (and I have owned a few)

Stomper (JK Handmade knives) is offering a similar sized knife, with pocket sheath, and firesteel for less than an Izula. With multiple choices for blade style.

This is one Stomper made for my son. A modified LDK. It is scaled, but John makes one without scales.

100_1142.jpg

It is a slightly larger knife than the one John makes for his firekit.But John made my boy a firesteel and pocket sheath for it.:thumbup:

It is 4 1/2" OAL.

I recently picked up a CRKT Minimalist. 5 inches, with 2 inches of wharncliffe blade. Really nice design, and great price at under $20. Not the greatest steel (5Cr15MoV), but it's fine for light use. (EDIT: That's not really fair. I haven't had the knife long enough to really get a feel for this steel. Let's just say I suspect its edge holding won't be the greatest, and I would have been happier with 8Cr13MoV).

I wouldn't mind tracking down one of the original Alan Folts-made customs someday.

Last edited:
Busse SAR-4 is 4 7/8", gorgeous, convex ground and indestructible!
Also check out the Makers forum. Stomper is making me a 5" Scout Jr and matching firesteel for a very reasonable price.

OOPS! Just read the OAL requirement!

That sounds really cool, but I can't find it in the manufacturer's sales. :confused:
EDIT: Nevermind, found it... and it's all sold out. Aww...

This is my favorite small fixed. 4 1/8" OAL with a 1 1/2" blade. Mini-Nessmuck made by Stomper.

100_1157.jpg

It won't fit in a wallet with the scales, but it is much more comfortable to use than a skeleton handle (and I have owned a few)

Stomper (JK Handmade knives) is offering a similar sized knife, with pocket sheath, and firesteel for less than an Izula. With multiple choices for blade style.

THAT'S PERFECT. And I assume the same knife Sleeve talked about.

I recently picked up a CRKT Minimalist. 5 inches, with 2 inches of wharncliffe blade. Really nice design, and great price at under $20. Not the greatest steel (5Cr15MoV), but it's fine for light use. (EDIT: That's not really fair. I haven't had the knife long enough to really get a feel for this steel. Let's just say I suspect its edge holding won't be the greatest, and I would have been happier with 8Cr13MoV).

I wouldn't mind tracking down one of the original Alan Folts-made customs someday.
I forgot all about CRKT's Minimalist. It's pretty cheap; I could see myself getting that.

The Beretta KT Tactical has a 2.5" blade of S30V, but is 6.0" if you could go with another inch. Check them out at www.berettausa.com under SALE ITEMS.:thumbup:
Just a tinge outside my range.

Last edited:
My wife has a Bark River Mikro-Canadian, it's a pretty sweet knife, the steel is excellent.

Bark River makes a bunch of nice, small fixed blades.

Thin and perfect size. Interesting little knife.

Nope. That one is a one-of-a-kind. John only built one.:)

This is the thread on John's firekit knives.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670391

A bargain.

And sold out, too. :( Well, November isn't too far away. It's not like I needed to spend more money right now anyways. :D

Back