SUBCOM Fixed Blade Review...

Well Terry, did I beat you to the SFB? Because I've got one:cool:

LOL, well not really. In all fairness I did have an inside source, and it is a Production prototype, so technically it's not quite a "real" SFB, and it's still missing the sheath, but that hasn't stopped me from putting it through the paces. This knife rocks :thumbup:

Ok on to the review itself...

Technical Specs(give or take a little):

Blade Length: 2 3/8"
Blade Thickness: 3/16"
Blade Steel: 440C
Overall Length: 5.5"

Blade:

Just slightly larger, in all dimensions, than the SUBCOM Folder. Full flat ground 440C blade steel. Finish appears to be bead-blasted, so those of you in tropical environments better make sure you pay close attention to the knife, so as to prevent rust(this means you Chad;) )

Nice full bellied blade like the SF, excels at slicing activities. Shaving sharp when I received it, it also slices cardboard quite nicely. Edge leans slightly towards polished, rather than toothy, but still has enough toothyness to be sever 550 paracord with only one stroke. Despite it's thickness, the blade cuts exceptionally well, but not quite as well as the SF(I attribute that to the thinner blade on the SF) The difference is negligible though, I doubt many will notice unless they put the two side by side like I did.

Texturing on spine of the blade is very aggressive, and secures the thumb quite nicely. Coupled with the handle ergos, this knife is quite secure in the hand, despite it's small size.

Handle:

Skeletonized(sort of) and made out of the same piece of steel as the blade. Not much chance of breaking this one, especially at 3/16" thick. The holes in the handle are not bevelled, and they are sharp enough to provide superior grip, but not so sharp that they'll slice your finger. On a side note, that interior of the holes is quite clean, there are minimal machining marks to show that the holes were cut. Very nice fit and finish.

I typically cord wrap any stainless handled knife of this style, and I did on this one as well, but let me tell you it's not easy to do, and kinda kills some of the ergos, so it didn't last long before I took it off. It's perfect as is.

Ergos:

Here is where the CLB designs shine. Both the SF and SFB "perform way out of their size range," Just like the Boker catalog states.

I have an average size hand(I think) and I have a solid 3 finger grip on the SFB. Now I'm the kind of person that wants ALL my fingers holding the handle, so I was a little wary of how secure the knife would be, but I was very pleasantly surprised. Despite having only three fingers holding the knife, it is next to impossible to remove the knife from my hand in a normal strength grip. The forefinger choil pretty much attaches the knife to your hand, and the thumb serrations seal the deal.

On repeated full force stabs(in forward grip) into a phone book, the knife did not slip once, even with sweaty or fatigued hands(repeated stabs into a phone book get's pretty tiring)

It's even comfortable in reverse grip, which I didn't think would be possible in a knife of this size, but somehow it works through some crazy application of physics:p

Carry:

Can't comment too much on this, as I don't have the sheath and corresponding attachments to base my opinion on (hurry up Blade-Tech) but given the small size of the SFB, discrete carry will be quite simple. This could easily be a neck knife, it's thin enough to not imprint. As a belt or IWB knife it'll quite literally disappear. Heck you could drop the whole knife in your pocket if you so desire. Small, very people friendly like the "biscuit", and comfortable to wear/use.

Overal Impressions:

The SUBCOM Folder is affectionately referred to as "the Biscuit". Well I affectionately refer to the SUBCOM Fixed Blade as "the Bull Dog." It's short, stubby, and viciously shreds anything you put in front of it. It would make a perfect EDC knife for those who work in urban areas and can't carry a large fixed blade, or as a backup self desense weapon.

Another solid CLB design. Congratulations(and thank you;) ) to Chad and Boker for creating an awesome sequel to the already legendary SFB.:cool:

Pictures will follow tomorrow when I have daylight to take them.:thumbup:

Enjoy.

Found some crappy shots I took earlier this week. I'll take some nicer ones tomorow though. Hopefully this keeps you all satisfied for now.;)

Size Comparison with SF(note the SFB is slightly larger):

000_0334.jpg

001_0335.jpg

Spine Shot:

000_0336.jpg

Various Grips:

000_0337.jpg

000_0338.jpg

000_0339.jpg

000_0340.jpg

Thanks for the cool review Scott, was great fun to read :)
I am really lookin forward on the sheaths :)

Congrats on the Proto and thanks MANY TIMES to your "inside source" as it is probably the same guy from who I reveived today the AUS8 Gen2 SubCom folder :D ;)

...Forgot to say that I'd like the Biscuit's handles reshaped like the FB ones. Oh well, I guess you simply can't satisfy everybody :rolleyes: :jerkit:

Aloha Scotty!

Bro, thanks for the great review! Be advised that you can wrap the handle horizontally (inside) as opposed to the "traditional cord wrap" around the outside of the handle. This will create a bit of a "swell" for the palm, and if you start at the front of the knife, the ends will come out of the Lanyard hole.;)

Hope you have fun with it and that this production proto pacified your craving for the production SFB's.:D Sorry I had no sheath for this one, but be advised, it is from a batch of "one of a kinds"...I owed ya for that C102, #102...remember?;)

Again, mahalo for taking the time to do a review, and for the pics!

God bless Knifebro:thumbup:

224477 said:
Thanks for the cool review Scott, was great fun to read :)
I am really lookin forward on the sheaths :)

Congrats on the Proto and thanks MANY TIMES to your "inside source" as it is probably the same guy from who I reveived today the AUS8 Gen2 SubCom folder :D ;)

:D ;) :D ;)

Enjoy and God bless ya Knifebro:cool: :thumbup:

Daywalker said:
Bro, thanks for the great review! Be advised that you can wrap the handle horizontally (inside) as opposed to the "traditional cord wrap" around the outside of the handle. This will create a bit of a "swell" for the palm, and if you start at the front of the knife, the ends will come out of the Lanyard hole.;)

I might have to try that. A palm swell might actually improve the grip on this one. I had wrapped the outside as well, and it was difficult to retain in a secure grip because of it.

Cool idea.:cool:

SMC,
I won't say whether you beat me to it, because I don't want
to hurt your feelings!:D
Thanks for the great review, I loved reading it.
Thanks, Terry

Thanks for the great review and pics Scott.

"but still has enough toothyness to be sever 550 paracord with only one stroke.":eek:
Scott, you push cut paraccord.:D

TJT said:
SMC,
I won't say whether you beat me to it, because I don't want
to hurt your feelings!:D
Thanks for the great review, I loved reading it.
Thanks, Terry

Yeah I figured you've been playing with yours for a while:cool: Kinda hard to beat you to it. I'd have to intercept the boxes en route:p

smcfalls13 said:
I might have to try that. A palm swell might actually improve the grip on this one. I had wrapped the outside as well, and it was difficult to retain in a secure grip because of it.

Cool idea.:cool:

Hey Bro,

Yeah man, get creative with the inside wrap...it works pretty well...

Believe it or not, there IS a "method to my madness" ya know!:rolleyes: :D

God bless and mahalo much!:thumbup:

arzh said:
very cool review
the fixed one is very cool i need one
cheers jerome

I need one too..........badly.......Doc:D Thanks for the review Scott!

Back