Subtle difference in the Recluse??

schmittie

Gold Member
I hope this is ok to ask. I've looked and drooled over many of the Recluses that have been made. I don't know if I completely made this up or not but the older handle and blade shape seem a bit different. Like these here, made some time ago:

bs105_2060-vi.jpg

With these newer knives the blade appears to be narrower. The butt seems different too when compared to these just posted up recently:

20111223104_4980-vi.jpg

Does the 1st pic look like the blade is wider with more belly? One difference also seems to be the newer handles seem fuller. (I did like the look of the thinner handles though)

Am I making all this up? Maybe I'm taking crazy pills!!

(for what it's worth, I LOVE the tomato burlap one in the first pic!!)

I aint for sure schmitte but I think that Andy revamped the design when he and BRK got together and done the production recluse, he done the sublte changes to the custom recluse to set it apart from the production. Again not certain just if I remember correctly that is what I remember!! LOL

If you look at those earlier handle shapes at the termination, they were rounder on the edge side of the tang. I originally drew it the way I make it now. Derrick liked the curved shape better, and thats what BRKT made. I made them that way for a few knives, then decided to make them like the first drawing. I made one like that for myself, and really dug the handle that way better. The blade shape never has changed. Thats just a trick of eye in that photo there.

As to the handles. I used to do more thinner handles. If y'all want to see some, I can do a few that way. I like a thicker handle. I generally start with 3/8" stock to make my handles. Those started with 1/4" stock.

Ah, I see. Camera angles can change the appearance. Thanks for the details.

That, and the handles being hand shaped, they don't come to rest exactly the same.

Between those two pics it appears the older ones had a deeper index finger cut, or is that just the camera angle as well?

They are all cut from the same patterns. There is likely a small variation in the index finger areas. But its not much.

If you look at older Arete's and Newer Arete's - Andy has made some changes too. All of them are good changes - and mostly show Andy as an evolving bladesmith. I think what you are seeing is the growing of a maker in some of his changes - and the cool thing is that we get to benefit from the changes he makes.

TF

Back