Such purty white sparkles.

Ground some folder frames of .090 ti today. I used a 36 grit ceramic belt and they seemed to wear out kinda fast. What is the best kind of belt for ti and do you crank the grinder up real fast or run it at a slower speed?

------------------
Take care!! Michael
jesus.jpg

Always think of your fellow knife makers as partners in the search for the perfect blade, not as people trying to compete with you and your work!

My Web Site
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms!!!

Well we had pretty whit sparkles yesterday but it was snow flakes. I dont grind enough Ti to give you any good advice, but the 3-M 967 Yellow belts will work great.

Michael, The fastest way Ive found to rough it to the scribe lines is a big rough stone. It takes no time at all compared to belts. Plus the stone is cheap. Try it Youll like it. Bruce B

Went back to the shop after supper and did some more grinding on the ti. Just to see if I could answer my own question I slowed the grinder way down to about 10%. Ti grinds much better at slow speeds. Maybe the heat generated with speed makes the difference.
Bruce, I am looking for a 10 or 12" by 2" rock to put on my buffer since I don't buff much anymore. I'll have to try grinding the ti on it, thanks!!!

------------------
Take care!! Michael
jesus.jpg

Always think of your fellow knife makers as partners in the search for the perfect blade, not as people trying to compete with you and your work!

My Web Site
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms!!!

Michael, Im wrong on the speed of the stone. I have a 2 hp motor that turns 1725 rpm but it has a reduced speed pulley. It is about half the size of the drive pulley but the 10" rock still turns plenty fast. It works great for hogging off scale after forging too. Bruce B

Back