Suehiro G8 8000 for Edge Pro from Gritomatic. Good stuff and thank you !

Want to say thank you to Konstantin Martynenko and Gritomatic for the help with my new stone : Suehiro G8 8000 for the Edge Pro knife sharpener.
Some points and comments that others have posted recently about this stone :
  • G8 is . . . Probably the best synthetic for S110V in ultra-fine range. G comes from green [silicon carbide].
  • G8 is easily my favorite finishing stone for most stainless with exception of high VC. Fantastic.
(to clarify this is the best synthetic for high Vanadium only bested by super fine diamond)
I finally got some time to try the stone on a few blades. I am extremely happy with this stone and would encourage anyone who is interested in mirror polished edges or microbeveling coarser edges to get one of these.

I won't go into all the alloys I put it to but as far as middle vanadium alloys I just finished using it on my Para2 in M4. The belly area of the blade finally had gotten dull enough it wouldn't bite into my fingernail and since I had touched it up a few times with the Spyderco Ultra Fine Triangle rod and the blade is now more dull than I like to rely on the UF to correct I decided to put the Para2 back on the Edge Pro. The heal and the tip areas were still shave sharp and pretty much hair whittling.

I will talk about the other stones I used to bring the edge back to sharp because they help to demonstrate how good this G8 stone is.
First using magic marker I set the bevel angle on the Edge Pro.
I tried to bring the edge back using just the Shapton Glass 4,000 but that wasn't quite enough without going to a micro bevel. The sharpening bevel is quite wide and the Shapton Glass 4,000 was loading up pretty good and was hard to clear the pores using a natural Nagura that usually does very well for me on the Norton Water stones, the Shapton Pro stones and for the most part on these Shapton Glass stones. Often to really clean the pores on the Shapton Glass Stones I have to condition the stone with grit or on a diamond plate. I think the M4 was doing some glazing to the Shapton Glass stone. It was cutting but was not liking it.

I then backed up and went with the Shapton Glass 1,000 stone using the stop collar to ensure angle consistency. The Shapton Glass 1,000 got me a new apex. This stone did load and was quite hard to clean and was maybe glazing some as well. I cleaned it often and it got the edge apexed.

I went back to the Shapton Glass 4,000 and polished out the scratches from the 1,000 and refined the edge. This required lots of cleaning of the glass stones with the Nagura. We are now at hair whittling.

Keep in mind the edge was not all that dull and there was zero damage to the edge; no chipping or rolling but just enough edge wear to stop shaving hair or biting the face of my thumb nail.

Using the Suehiro G8 8000 I just wanted to polish the bevel further and refine the edge removing the last remnants of any micro bur like fragments.

The G8 surprised me at how black it got and how fast. The stone was definitely CUTTING steel off the bevel and not just burnishing the edge. I had to clean the pores of the stone quite often but to my surprise the natural Nagura stone was able to very quickly and easily clean the stone; it wasn't a slow struggle like it had been with the Shapton Glass stones.

There was not even a hint of glazing from use on the M4 steel. The surface was easily being refreshed from the use of the Nagura stone as evidenced by the green drips in my white sink but the stone was not soft at all ; it didn't seem to be wearing away while sharpening.

The stone was quite nicely surfaced from the factory so there was no brake in or weird crystal like "growths" like can happen on the Shapton stones.

It soaked up some water so it is not exactly a splash and go. I didn't submerge it I just kept squirting water on it and rubbing it until it finally seem to be saturated.

The finish it left on the blade was pretty much a mirror. I wasn't going for a high quality mirror I just wanted as much edge sharpness as I could get from this stone. I would put the polish on par with the Norton 8,000 though and that is fairly high praise.

Being this is a SiC stone it has harder abrasive able to cut tougher steel than the Norton 8,000, the Shapton Pro AND the Shapton Glass stones.

I am very happy with the edge this stone put on my M4.
I am super happy with how easily the pores of the stone could be cleared of swarf.

I would recommend this stone without reservation to those working with challenging tool steel blade alloys and or very hard blades. Three thumbs up :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you again Mr Martynenko !

Last edited:
That turned out well.

Do you have the grey "6000" polish tapes from Edge Pro? How does this compare? I believe those are SiC as well.

That turned out well.

Do you have the grey "6000" polish tapes from Edge Pro? How does this compare? I believe those are SiC as well.
No I bought the Edge Pro kit with all Shapton Glass stones; that kit does not contain tapes or the ceramic rod.

This may be a tad off topic but is it true shapton is no longer making/cutting stones for the edge pro and other smaller guided systems? I have heard this from a couple sources now and wondering if you or anyone else knows anything about this. Been looking for a 2k shapton glass for EP and can't find one anywhere.

That turned out well.

The 2k and 6k tapes are Sic, the 3k is Alox. Just asked Cody while I had him on the phone.

May I put your product review to Gritomatic? ;)
But of course. A bit long; feel free to cut it.
I've never put a product review in the review forum here. Maybe I should move it once it runs its course in the Maintenance forum.

Man . . . moments ago I was sitting on the couch . . . pulled out my super basic Kershaw Chill to trim a hang nail and the G8 8,000 polished sharpening bevel was reflecting the kitchen lights like crazy . . . l i i i i i i i i i ke diamonds ! Not to mention it's sharp.

Back