Suggest good left hand assisted open folder

I have an injury to my right (strong hand) which will have me in a cast for many months.

I want to buy an AO folder which works easily left handed.

Models I have looked at on paper are the SOG Flash, CRKT Tighe, BM 670 etc.
I am in South Africa where these models are very scarce so cant try before buying.

I have a friend coming from the USA soon and I want him to pick one up for me.

Left hand typing is not easy!!

Thanks

Streak

Planterz

Gold Member
I don't know if any specifically left-handed assisted opening knives exist. The problem is that they all (as far as I'm aware) seem to be framelocks and linerlocks, and these are all right-hand oriented. Most have dual thumbstuds or a flipper, so they're just as easy to open left-handed as they are right-handed, but closing will always be right-handed. That said, I've never handled a liner/frame lock that I wasn't able to close with my left hand, but it's definitely more awkward and slower, limited dexterity aside.

If you're set on a knife that can be easily switched to left-hand carry (ie: reversable pocket clip), look at the Benchmade AXIS lock knives. Not assisted opening, but just as fast, and completely ambidexterous. When the blade is closed, pull back a bit on the AXIS lock and give your wrist a flick. Opens right up, fast and smooth. Best part is you can close it the same way. IMO, the safest folding knives (lock strength aside) are the ones you can open and close without touching the blade or ever putting your finger in the blade's swing path. I've bit myself more than a couple times closing liner/framelocks.

Thanks for the reply.
Opening is more important than closing. Altough LH dexterity is improving a bit I would still like a folder with AO.

I have reversed the clip on one of my Spydercos but still battle to open the knife left handed. I dont mind if the clip cant be reversed as long as the knife can be taken out the pocket and opened easily left handed.

Streak

The Kershaw stud-lock can be closed with either hand. The Spec Bump uses it, as does the Offset. Those are larger knives, though. If you want something smaller their Mini-Mojo uses it as well. They are open with a flipper, which is super easy with either hand.

JPD1998

Gold Member
I have a Camillus Heat, it opens with a flipper and includes a kit to mount the clip for a left handed user. It's a very nice knife and a bargain at $40.00 - $50.00. It has a liner lock...

I also have an Aluminum SOG Flash II, the clip is reversible too, it has thumb studs to open the knife. I'm not at home but if you interested in the SOG I'll ask my wife to try it out ( she's left handed). The lock is released by sliding a lever on the handle and probably can be released using your left index finger.

Other than those two, I can't recall if any others I own come with the ability to reverse the clip, but I'll check.

I'm left-handed and I like the Pro-Tech TR-3 and Duke.:thumbup:

Planterz

Gold Member
The Kershaw stud-lock can be closed with either hand. The Spec Bump uses it, as does the Offset. Those are larger knives, though. If you want something smaller their Mini-Mojo uses it as well. They are open with a flipper, which is super easy with either hand.

I'd forgotten about the stud lock (even though I'd used a Spec Bump in the Passaround). The clip is still RH only, but could probably still be carried LH.

Forget about assisted-openers, get this knife....

HPIM0739.jpg

The Spyderco waved Endura 4!
Just set the clip for left pocket carry and you're good to go.
It will open as you pull it out of your pocket--and much faster than any assisted-opener.

Good luck,
Allen.

sog

I hurt my hand too and am making a permanent move to my left. I got a SOG Flash II and put the clip on the other side and carry in my back pocet of the left. It is extremely light and comfortable. It is so comfortable i can clip it to my underwear and sleep at night and not notice it at all! I dont make a habit of doing it i just read about someone else doing it and tried it. The only problem is the lock is a little hard to with the clip on that side. I dont use it mainly because the blade is very sucurely tucked it the handle.

Hey Guys....

Streak..

Welcome to Bf.com...

LIsten to what Allanc is saying..

I couldn't agree more,, and allan,, you took the words right out of my mouth...

Excellent knife,, or the Waved Delica for that matter....

Streak,, get one of these you Won't be sorry..

ttyle

Eric
O/ST

I have a Delica wave on backorder. There seems to be such a shortage that by the time it gets here I will be out of the cast!!

I need a couple more surgeries and rehab before I see how well the thumb on my right hand will operate. Either way the wave which does not need the use of a thumb is a great idea.

You have all been very helpful.

Thank you.