Suggestion Box.

Scott Hanson

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I'm a bit backed up on orders right now but I am always open for suggestions for future builds.

Let's have some fun with this, let's throw some ideas out there and see what we come top with?

Anything with antler, I'd love to see some small antler tip/brow tine knives.

Thank you for the suggestions, I've touched on some of these ideas in the past and from time to have a few of the other ideas rattling around between my ears.

John, are you suggesting a small single tine for the handle? because making a small patch style knife for muzzle loader enthusiasts is an idea that keeps popping up in my head.

John, the dagger idea has been rattling for time as well, that will come to fruition sooner for later hopefully sooner.

Mack, brow tine hunters are among my favorite Scagel designs, a lot od people don't like them because they think the brow tine gets in the way. I doesn't, as long as it's the right size - approx. 2" to 2 1/2" in length, they're very comfortable and can act as a handle extension when needed like inside the cavity of a deer that your'e field dressing.

Here are some pics where I got my ideas from, here's a Scagel.
57645a4d.jpeg

This is my interpretation of it.
IMG_0146.jpeg

Another Scagel.
45561.jpeg

My interpretation of this one as well.
20160826_080238_2.jpeg

Last edited:
Scagel made many styles of knives in his day including Daggers and kris style knives. Here are a hunter a fighter and a dagger all with brow tine handles, Scagel used every part of the antlers to make his knives.
orig-1.jpeg

This next knife is by a maker right here on Blade forums Rob Appleby, he makes fantastic knives, this is a small fish tail Scagel style knife with a forked tine for a handle. It would make a great patch knife, and is on my short list of knives to build.
scagel fishtail2.jpeg

Thank you for the suggestions, I've touched on some of these ideas in the past and from time to have a few of the other ideas rattling around between my ears.

John, are you suggesting a small single tine for the handle? because making a small patch style knife for muzzle loader enthusiasts is an idea that keeps popping up in my head.

John, the dagger idea has been rattling for time as well, that will come to fruition sooner for later hopefully sooner.

Mack, brow tine hunters are among my favorite Scagel designs, a lot od people don't like them because they think the brow tine gets in the way. I doesn't, as long as it's the right size - approx. 2" to 2 1/2" in length, they're very comfortable and can act as a handle extension when needed like inside the cavity of a deer that your'e field dressing.

Here are some pics where I got my ideas from, here's a Scagel.
View attachment 1296868

This is my interpretation of it.
View attachment 1296869

Another Scagel.
View attachment 1296870

My interpretation of this one as well.
View attachment 1296871

That one in the 2nd pic is gorgeous!:thumbsup:

Scagel made many styles of knives in his day including Daggers and kris style knives. Here are a hunter a fighter and a dagger all with brow tine handles, Scagel used every part of the antlers to make his knives.
View attachment 1296873

This next knife is by a maker right here on Blade forums Rob Appleby, he makes fantastic knives, this is a small fish tail Scagel style knife with a forked tine for a handle. It would make a great patch knife, and is on my short list of knives to build.
View attachment 1296874
Great designs. The hunter and fighter would both make great hunting knives. The dagger would probably end up as a showpiece but what a showpiece!

Of that group the Appleby is my favorite, though I would be happy to have any of the others on my belt. Going on looks alone because I've wondered about the practicality of the brow tine incorporated into a knife handle. They look awesome but I too wonder about the feel in the hand. Still if I can find the right white tail shed I just might send it to you Scott for a go. :thumbsup: :)

Exactly that Scott, that would be really interesting with the right blade shape.

Those Brow tine handles are amazing. Though your boat scraper is my grail knife, the brow tines are a very close second.

Thanks for the suggestions, I am at work right now and don’t have a lot of time. I’ll talk to you guys tomorrow afternoon.

Of that group the Appleby is my favorite, though I would be happy to have any of the others on my belt. Going on looks alone because I've wondered about the practicality of the brow tine incorporated into a knife handle. They look awesome but I too wonder about the feel in the hand. Still if I can find the right white tail shed I just might send it to you Scott for a go. :thumbsup: :)
Hi Ray, I didn't like the brow tine hunter at first neither and often wondered the same thing about if would get in the way. So finally I decided to make a couple of them and as it turns out they're very comfortable and the brow tine doesn't get in the way at all during carry or during use. The key is the right size brow tine, any shorter than 1 3/4" will probably jab you during use and anything longer than 2 1/2" might start getting in the way during use. The brow tine does one thing very well which is extend your reach with the knife by using it in a pistol grip fashion. I'll post some picks in a bit.

This first photo shows the knife in hand with a traditional grip, second photo is with a reverse grip.
IMG_1972.jpeg IMG_1973.jpeg

The third photo is with a pistol grip which gives the user added reach, note the arrow on the bottom showing the brow tine tip sticking just out from my palm. Fourth photo is a right side carry sheath with the brow tine pointing behind the wearer.
IMG_1971.jpeg IMG_1974.jpeg

After making a couple of brow tine hunters I actually really like the design of them, the extra length adds to the versatility of the knife. They feel really good in the hand as long as the brow tine is long enough, if it's too short it's terrible feeling.lol

Without knowing what I'm talking about - my impression is this would be THE GRIP with the blade edge

facing the other direction, i.e. the traditional grip rather than the reverse.

Last edited:
This first photo shows the knife in hand with a traditional grip, second photo is with a reverse grip.
View attachment 1297220 View attachment 1297227

The third photo is with a pistol grip which gives the user added reach, note the arrow on the bottom showing the brow tine tip sticking just out from my palm. Fourth photo is a right side carry sheath with the brow tine pointing behind the wearer.
View attachment 1297230 View attachment 1297231

After making a couple of brow tine hunters I actually really like the design of them, the extra length adds to the versatility of the knife. The feel really good in the hand as long as the brow tine is long enough, if it's too short it's terrible feeling.lol

Very nice!:thumbsup: Have seen a few of those here and there and thought it was only aesthetical, like for display pieces, as I thought the tine would get in the way of actually using it. Didn't realize there was an actual purpose, so thanks!

Without knowing what I'm talking about - my impression is this would be THE GRIP with the blade edge

facing the other direction, i.e. the traditional grip rather than the reverse. Crazy talk? o_O

I'm intrigued. :cool:

Thanks for the photos Scott - helpful!

View attachment 1297250
I think I see what you're saying, is if you're holding the knife with a pistol grip you would have the edge facing up, right? I think that would work, but it might make it a little more difficult to use say, if you working inside the cavity of a deer or an elk. I'm only speculating on why Scagel designed this handle, and one reason also would be is he didn't have access to any of the stag suppliers that we do today so he used every single part of the antler that he could, this would be my guess.

I think I see what you're saying, is if you're holding the knife with a pistol grip you would have the edge facing up, right? I think that would work, but it might make it a little more difficult to use say, if you working inside the cavity of a deer or an elk. I'm only speculating on why Scagel designed this handle, and one reason also would be is he didn't have access to any of the stag suppliers that we do today so he used every single part of the antler that he could, this would be my guess.

Yeah, I could see in that case, that the tine could get hung up as you are working the blade. I will need to mock one up to enlighten me. My intuition is that the tine hanging down below the cutting edge line could create more issues - though ALL your examples suggest that I've got it wrong.

Back