suggestions for a middle to large pocket knife for...

Tyr

General cutting tasks (cooking, carving, cutting rope... all the jobs you do within a whole knife life)
Im just thinking about a strider Clippoint.
how does it perform (cutting performance)
perfect would be something with a large Clippoint blade and good cutting abbilitys.
Folders are prefer but fixed are quiet ok ( not these things which are as long as my leg)
please dont post something about MT, I got those already.
Thanks for your post

I really like the Spyderco Military for the sort of tasks you describe. It is definitely one of the best cutters around due to the blade and edge geometry. If you're interested in a fixed blade, there are a ton of makers around who make blades in a similar size to a large folder for under a hundred bucks (or two hundred if you want to widen your options). I recommend browsing the For Sale forum to see what styles you find attractive. Also check out Kevin Wilkins' knives, as he is an American knifemaker in Germany. I believe his website is www.wilkins-knives.com

Based on my understanding of your question, seems like a great many knives out there have much more utility than does the Strider.
Had I the $$ right now, would probably buy first the REKAT Carnivore, then the Al Mar SERE, myself.

Am sure you'll get lots of votes for other Spydercos, particularly the Wegner. Many will suggest the Benchmade 710, or other models by Benchmade, particularly the AFCK.

If you're seriously interested in fixed blades, I've yet to read seriously bad word about anything Bob Dozier makes.

I suggest you use the search feature in this forum, and read reviews of all the knives I've mentioned, and many others besides.

I'm very interested in 2 inexpensive blades out, or soon to be out -- the Wortac by Timberline -- shootist16 is selling those at a great price -- and the Paragee by Outdoor Edge -- and probably the Magna, also by OE. You can buy a couple models of the CRKT Mirage for $10 right now at Smoky Mountain.

And so on. Hopefully other forumites who will respond will base their recommendations on some objective basis, like Burke has already done.

Good luck,

------------------
Asi es la vida

Bugs

Might I humbly suggest a Spyderco Starmate?
Excellent all round cutter, MUCH easier to carry that a strider. CPM 440v steel will go a long time between sharpenings. If you have to do any skinning, then I'd suggest a Spydie Wegner.
David

------------------
AKTI# A000150
NC Custom Knifemakers Guild member
NC Knife Knuts member

M2 Nimravus or 154CM Yari. Got both and love 'em. The yari has a better feel IMHO and thinner grind for slicing but the Nimravus has an aura of toughness.

------------------
It hurts to be on the cutting edge.

If you wouldn't mind a drop point or spear point intead of a clip point, I can suggest three great knives: the Spyderco Wegner, the Chris Reeve Sebenza, and a Terzoula ATCF (if you don't want to pay custom prices, the Spyderco Starmate has the same shape blade as the ATCF.)

A less expensive alternative to the Sebenza would be the Benchmade 750 or Monolock. If decide to go budget all the way, I can think of nothing better than a Spyderco Endura.

Starmate and wegner large are still my favorites from your suggestions.
I got the military already and search for something equal in cutting power and handling.
So what is the better all arounder?
A starmate or a wegner? maybe both of them
or one of them in a combo with a good neck knife?
customs are no alternative for me, cause its to expensive for me to buy from the states( the taxes and shipping will nearly double the price of the knife)
anyone got experiences with the D'alton holder hunter modell from schrade (think its called millenium)?

I think the REKAT Carnivore is what you are looking for. The Benchmade Pinnacle would be another great choice.

------------------
A Pat on the Back is only a few inches from a Kick in the Butt.

It seems like you are interested mainly in cutting performance.
smile.gif
I would recommend the Spyderco Military. Maybe even the serrated version.

-IPR

I hate to be the one to say what has been said so often but you asked. Depending n your budget, sounds like you would like the Large Classic Sebenza.

In a fixed, the Camillus Talon in either Talonite of 154CM is an absolutely gorgeous knife. I could not believe how nice it felt to hold and how understated and useful the shape/size is.

How about a Large plain-edge Cold Steel Clip-Point Voyager? AUS-8A steel, and razor-sharp right from the factory. Also, the cost of one of these won't do much damage to your bank account, either.
smile.gif

------------------
Dann Fassnacht
Aberdeen, WA
glockman99@hotmail.com
ICQ# 53675663

For around $125.00 you can pick up a SERE 2000. For the money it is hard to beat the quality you get! If $350.00 is budgeted then the Sebenza will last you a lifetime and give you a lifetime of service to boot!
If you want the ULTIMATE do as I do, stick a MADD MAXX in your pocket!

------------------
Art Sigmon
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Php. 4:13

"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword"
Heb. 4:12

Back