1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Suggestions for bug out bag blades?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by ignatius, Jun 22, 2019.

1. ignatius

ignatius

Jan 13, 2012
    I have a wife and two teenage daughters, and I'm putting together individual bug out bags for all three of them. I want to include a fixed blade knife and sheath for each BOB, and I need to keep a budget mindset. All three of them have small body frames, so fit for smaller hands is critical.
    My price range needs to stay under $40 per person. I've considered the Mora Companion as well as a Schrade "sharp finger" that was a personal fave of mine when I was a teenager and active in Boy Scouts. I'm very open to other blades.

PLEASE share some suggestions folks! Input and past experience is greatly appreciated.

buckfynn likes this.
  2. Daedric Panther

Daedric Panther

Apr 27, 2019
    I think you’re on the right track with the mora companion. Great knife especially for that price range. Easy to sharpen, very light weight and surprisingly study knives.

Since these are for a bug out bag, consider squaring off the spine of the knife with a file, that way you can use it to strike a ferro rod (which is presumably also in said bug out bag. And edc for that matter)

StoneAndSteel, buckfynn, dirc and 2 others like this.
  3. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    I agree wholeheartedly with the Mora choice. Everyone in my family has one in a different color. Great knife great sheath inexpensive. Can’t be beat at the price.

I made big out bags for my family about ten years ago. I had enough unused knives that I didn’t purchase any. Include a knife with a can opener too. A multitool would be best.

jux t, 115Italian, dirc and 1 other person like this.
  4. BladeScout

BladeScout Basic Member Basic Member

May 16, 2010
    Terävä Jääkäripuukko 110 or Terävä Minipuukko.

Lapedog, buckfynn, Pilot1 and 5 others like this.
  5. eon blue apocalypse

eon blue apocalypse

Apr 11, 2015
    It's about $5 over your $40 limit, but my suggestion is the Kabar Becker BK14 (1095CV steel)

I have the BK24 which is the same knife in D2 and I trust it fully. A great knife, reasonable size, and will do whatever you need. If you don't like the coating it's easy to strip, and if you give it a good patina I haven't had any real rust concerns with my other stripped Beckers in 1095cv.

6. ignatius

ignatius

Jan 13, 2012
    Eon Blue Apocalypse- I am a Huge fan of Becker blades and own several myself ( BK 2, 9, 11, 13 and 16 and I really want the Kephart !) My hesitation on buying 3 of the BK 11's or 14's stems from the fact that there is a decent probability that the teens would lose them. I probably will get a Becker for my wife though. The Mora Companion in different colors for each teen is looking like the best choice and price point. I love this forum!

7. eveled

Mar 11, 2016
    If my 10 year old is with me he has his flouresent green mora with him. It clips to anything from a belt to a pair of sweat pants. I feel it’s a safe option. The sheath is pretty stout. So I’m not worried about him getting stabbed through the sheath. Also I don’t have to worry about it closing on his fingers.

Your wife deserves a BK 62 Kephart.

8. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Platinum Member

Mar 15, 2016
    Mora is probably the way to go with the price.
    BladeHQ has some nice package deals:
    https://www.bladehq.com/item--Morakniv-Craft-Knife-Mutli-Pack-Set--78020
    https://www.bladehq.com/item--Morakniv-Outdoor-Knife-Mutli-Pack--75687

Maybe get one of the above plus this and end up with a lightweight hatchet.
    https://www.bladehq.com/item--Mora-of-Sweden-Outdoor-Kit-Orange-w--21009

Buck might have a couple options too, but no experience with these models.
    https://www.bladehq.com/item--Buck-BuckLite-Max-II-Small-Fixed--79561
    https://www.bladehq.com/item--Buck-Omni-Hunter-10PT-Knife-Black--15708

buckfynn, 115Italian and slyraven like this.
  9. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Yyou could get the Morakniv Kansbol for under forty bucks. It has a few features you don’t get on the Companion, like an ambidextrous sheath and a 90-degree spine. Dunno if the differences make it worth twice the price. It is hard to fault the Companion for your purpose, but the Kansbol would be my choice for my own bag.

buckfynn, steelhog and cwsmith17 like this.
  10. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Definitely place a Mora in each kit. This keeps things within reasonable limits of the budget. Good functional knifes also. There will be other stuff included that is not a knife and that costs $ too.

buckfynn, jux t and cwsmith17 like this.
  11. eveled

Mar 11, 2016
    The Mora light my fire set looks like a winner too.

buckfynn and Uncle Timbo like this.
  12. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    What can I say that hasn't already said about a Mora? Pair it with a Swiss Army Knife.

Uncle Timbo, sabre cat, jux t and 4 others like this.
  13. gazz98

gazz98

Sep 3, 2008
    Another vote for a Mora. Inexpensive, light, and surprisingly tough.

The Terävä Jääkäripuukko 110 is another great choice.

14. DCFree

DCFree Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2019
    Who could argue with the Mora. Great choice and a great knife. The ESEE Izula 2 is probably my most used fixed blade and it is fantastic. Full retail is above the price point you wanted, but you can often find them slightly used for 40-ish. Same with Ontario Rat 3, also a great knife for the price.

cwsmith17 likes this.
  15. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    As mentioned, a SAK might be a good choice too and for me would depend on the preferences of the people receiving the kits. I personally would rather have a SAK than a Mora.

buckfynn and sodak like this.
  16. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Everyone else has had good suggestions, I'm just curious what knife you put in yours?

ScooterG likes this.
  17. Frozen Bear Trading

Frozen Bear Trading

Feb 22, 2019
    I agree with morakniv post. They are useful. Affordable and if they get messed up or lost you dont cry yourself to sleep. They are great quality

buckfynn likes this.
  18. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    I’m kinda going against the grain a bit, but I’d recommend a Tramontina machete (12 inch or 18 inch) rather than a knife.

It can still be used to whittle, slice, food prep, etc. But can also serve as a hot plate, defensive weapon, brush clearing, fire prod, and light baton work. It also has the ability to be used as a spring to make noose traps for small game.

Just a thought. Good luck in your search!

19. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    Mora. And a couple of BiC lighters -- forget the ferro rod.

buckfynn, jux t, Cosmodragoon and 2 others like this.
  20. BigWillie

BigWillie

Jun 4, 2019
    You're going to need to buy them bright colored cordage or they'll lose that too

Then you can just wrap some around the bk14's handle

Tie dye handle visibility > mora's

ignatius likes this.