1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions for disassembly/reassembly tools please

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by mdjmd, Jan 27, 2018.

1. mdjmd

mdjmd Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 24, 2018
    I am pretty new here, and I have several knives that need some internal polishing/lubrication. I have the little benchmade kit for opening their knives, but are there additional tools anyone can recommend so that I can MacGyver any knife in my collection? Thanks in advance!

2. SV-97

SV-97 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 18, 2016
    The benchmade kit is a torx bit set right? If yes then that's usually enough. I like to have a driver that I can use to generate lots of torque in addition to the regular precision screwdrivers. I have some punches that I use regularly, with a very very small Hammer, pliers (or a multitool), tweezers and if you plan on polishing/refinishing, sandpaper or abrasive fleece will be great.
    Oh and something to magnify :D a microscope or some jewelers glasses

mdjmd and Erik Norseman like this.
  3. mdjmd

Jan 24, 2018
    Great suggestions, thanks and much appreciated! I’m open to more opinions as well.

4. Erik Norseman

Erik Norseman

Jun 9, 2017
    Definitely a loupe, 10x is good.
    Rubbing alcohol to clean, and some good quality shop towels and microfiber cloths to dry off. Q-tips also are great.

Loctite is good to have around, along with something to prevent corrosion on steel liners (I use frog lube). A strop is important also and can be used for light polishing jobs!

mdjmd and SV-97 like this.
  5. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I can recommend Wiha brand bits and drivers ... well made and available in Torx ... Allen ... and other type bits ... fit is great and they are excellent quaility.

A pair of Vampliers for stubborn or stripped screws ... A good lighted magnifier whether it be a jewelers loupe or a lighted magnifying glass come in handy ... a soddering iron to hold on fastners to heat and soften any loctite that may have been used is usually enough to break them loose. And of course Blue Loctite if the knife requires it.

Painters tape to tape off blades for safety reasons or to tape off pivots to keep them clean depending on how you sharpen.

Which ever lubricant you prefer for pivots and for wiping down non stainless blades to prevent rust or pitting.

And just be sure to have a good work space if you disasemble knives so you don't lose any parts.

mdjmd, dalefuller and Erik Norseman like this.
  6. willc

willc Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 13, 2013
    On knives that I’ve never taken apart I have started to dunk them in very hot water before I disassemble.
    This will loosen any thread locker and save you from stripping screw heads.

Dogzilla52 and mdjmd like this.
  7. SV-97

SV-97 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 18, 2016
    Completely forgot about all the consumable stuff. Gotta second this :D also, depending on your taste grease or oil for reassembly. For polishing, a high Grit Stone (I use 10k) combined with a strop works great

mdjmd likes this.
  8. mdjmd

Jan 24, 2018
    These are all great recommendations, thank you all! Please feel free to indicate brands and models of materials that you favor.

9. Erik Norseman

Erik Norseman

Jun 9, 2017
    I second wiha bits--got some in the mail presently and heard only amazing things. Soldering iron is very useful and so is a good workspace.

mdjmd likes this.
  10. SV-97

Aug 18, 2016
    Froglube as rust protectant, Nano-oil/Nano-grease (blabla snakeoil), Wiha Drivers, Rennaisance wax (,...Spyderco Knives... :p ) For stones on the workbench I use naniwa, strop is DIY goat leather with 0,5µ diamond paste. The rest is no-name stuff

mdjmd likes this.
  11. FK

FK Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Wiha torx and hex bit set is essential to prevent buggered up screws.

Solder iron with assorted tips to heat screw heads if Loctite is used in factory assembly.

Regards,
    FK

mdjmd likes this.
  12. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 8, 2018
    KC Tools sells a set of Wera brand tools that they’ve assembled into what they are calling the Knife Maker and Maintenance Kit. It includes 7 Torx drivers, a small rack for storing them, and a small 1/4” bit driver with 6 Torx bits.

Wera tools are German designed and Czech made and in my opinion are every bit as good if not better than Wiha. It’s a great set of all the sizes you need, at a decent price.

No affiliation, just an appreciator. I’m still new here, so I’m a little fuzzy about the rules, so I’m not including a link or picture. I can edit to include either of someone can confirm that that’s ok.

Another valuable tool for knife maintenance is a set of (cheap is ok) dental probes, and some disposable dental brush picks. Not a standard toothbrush, dental brush picks resemble very tiny bottle brushes. Good for getting into crevices.

mdjmd likes this.
  13. dalefuller

dalefuller Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2005
    I'll also recommend Wiha. I use the set with the individual, screwdriver-like bits. I also have a small vise and a lighted magnifying floor lamp like you find in craft shops. I use that and a lighted magnifier to check over my knives and help me keep an eye on what's happening with the edges I'm working on.

An electric soldering iron might be useful at times if you have to loosen some Loc-Tite. There are also small needle-nosed pliers with padded jaws that are handy for holding small polished parts in place when you're trying to re-assemble knives or rotate stop pins without scratching them.

While this doesn't deal with disassemble and reassembly, I have also found that a digital angle cube is a handy tool for setting or checking bevel angles. I got mine from Amazon, IIRC. Amazon will also have some of the other stuff listed in the thread, and more can be found at knife supply sites like USA Knifemaker or Texas Knifemaker's Supply or tool sites like Garrett-Wade.

mdjmd likes this.
  14. mdjmd

Jan 24, 2018
    Great information, thank you all so much!

15. mycough

mycough

May 20, 2007
    As previously mentioned, wiha bits or drivers, prevent a lot of stripping.

Russ

mdjmd and Haffner like this.