• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Sujihiki, Utility, and Paring knife

Stuart Davenport Knives

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This week I finished up this really sleek and THIN sujihiki. It is made from 1/16" 52100 with an exceptional heat treatment landing it right at 63HRC with a very fine carbide array and grain structure. The full flat grind was taken to "zero", backed off just a tad to give enough meat for an acute 13° edge. It has a distal taper from the front of the handle to the tip, and the balance point is right at the end of my maker's mark, next to the handle. The handle is made from natural canvas micarta sporting a red liner. This has got the be the ultimate carbon steel slicer! I absolutely love 52100. I think it has the best balance of properties in a high carbon steel. Excellent toughness and good edge retention.

OAL: 13 3/4"
Blade: 9 1/2"
Handle: Natural canvas micarta
Steel: 52100 63HRC
Thickness: 1/16"
Edge: 13° per side 4 micron
Price: sold

IMG_2288.jpg IMG_2289.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also have this Japanese inspired utility knife made from thin CPM M4 at 64HRC!! The spine and choil have been rounded and polished for comfort in a pinch grip. The handle is a gorgeous piece of mesquite burl. I love this knife. If you hate sharpening knives, this one is for you, because CPM M4 keeps an edge a LONG time!

OAL: 11 1/2"
Blade: 6 1/2"
Handle: Mesquite burl
Steel: CPM M4 64HRC
Edge: 15° per side 4 micron

IMG_2291.jpg IMG_2292.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And finally I have this neat little paring knife made from very high quality (Latrobe) thin stock 1095 at a very high 65HRC! The handle is made from walnut and the spine has been rounded and polished. You know me, the full flat grind terminates in a very thin edge! While 1095 has been around for quite some time, I think it is an excellent steel for kitchen cutlery, especially at the high hardness levels. That super fine grain really lends itself to hard, thin edges.

OAL: 7 3/4"
Blade: 3 1/2"
Handle: Walnut
Steel: Latrobe 1095 65HRC
Edge: 11° per side 4 micron

IMG_2248.jpg IMG_2247.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paypal preferred (samuraistuart@yahoo.com). This is also my email address, so if would like to contact me, send me a PM through this site or send me an email. All of my knives include free shipping in the USA as well as a lifetime worry free warranty. If anything goes wrong with the knife, I'll repair or replace it. You can't beat that! I would also like to mention that most all of my work includes thin stock, thin grinds, thin edges, low angles, and high hardness. All of this combines for excellent edge retention and a very pleasurable cutting experience. I ask that the buyer understand that my knives are not made for the masses like most commercially available knives. They are tools meant to be used as intended and with care and common sense. Thank you very much for taking the time to check out my work! Follow me on Instagram: stuartalandavenport

Attachments​

Last edited:
Back