1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Summer 2017 Take no Kami (bamboo folders)

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by wonderlab, Sep 12, 2017.

1. wonderlab

wonderlab

Dec 31, 2007
    Hello the world :D
    Here are two brother knives with similarly designed custom blades by the same maker : Sardinian friend Davide Steri, renowned for his forging skills and his exquisite sanmai blades.
    I gave both knives a similar treatment for the handles. I went on with the principle of trompe-l’oeil sculpture of my previous pieces and the idea of making folders that seemingly look like made of different materials bound together, even if they are actually one solid piece. The handles are made of bamboo root carved with a reptilian theme : plates covered with snake skin scales and small articulated rattle snake tails.
    The blade of #187 is a sanmai with a K720 edge and sides of old iron with a touch of nickel.
    The blade of #188 is also a sanmai with a K720 edge but with suminagashi sides of damascus (K720, C70 & Nickel).
    They are both 72 mm long.
    For a change as usually I use blade with an “entering” lever, both blades have a flat forged lever like on a traditional “Piemontese” friction folder.
    Each folder comes with a presentation sheath that will be either too fragile or too cumbersome to carry around but never the less offers a nice and intriguing way of presenting the knives on a working desk or in a display window when not in use. The sheath of #187 is made out of “Buddha belly” bamboo (bambusa ventricosa) and the one of #188 is made out of carved bamboo root.
    The boxes are made out of linden wood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Many thanks for your interest and support :)

2. Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 6, 2014
    Very cool, and very unique, and exceptionally well done, thank you for sharing.

3. AVigil

AVigil knifemaker working the grind Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Those look great and kinda fun

4. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    wow, fantastic !

5. wonderlab

wonderlab

Dec 31, 2007
    Thank you :)

6. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    absolutely stunning work!

7. TK Steingass

TK Steingass Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 16, 2010
    I second the motion :thumbsup:

8. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013
    Very well done!

9. wonderlab

wonderlab

Dec 31, 2007
    Thank you so much for your supportive comments :)

10. Rick Marchand

Rick Marchand Donkey on the Edge Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 6, 2005
    I could look at these all day, sir. Well done! Thank you for sharing.

11. FOG2

FOG2 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2007
    I agree!

12. wonderlab

wonderlab

Dec 31, 2007
    Thank you

13. Steve Nuckels

Steve Nuckels

Aug 18, 2009
    What a treat!

Steve
    -----------
    Member, W.F. Moran Jr. Foundation
    ABS Apprentice

14. olymon

olymon

Apr 27, 2017
    Too many details to absorb at one sitting. Stunning, I see more each time I look at the photos again.

15. Augus7us

Augus7us

Oct 9, 2014
    These are really cool, amazing craftsmanship. I love all the carvings. Well done!

-Clint

16. Pavlos

Pavlos

Apr 20, 2013
    Art knives... Great carving.

17. wonderlab

wonderlab

Dec 31, 2007
    Thank you my friends :)