Super sticky 707

I picked up a 707 and I can't seem to get the blade to move smoothly when the lock is disengaged. I was able to back the pivot almost completely out and the blade still required me to push it closed. Is this normal with the 707? Are there other things that can be done to get the blade to move a little more freely?

Probably just needs to be broken in. The 707 has a rep for being one of the smoothest actions that BKC out our.

That doesn't sound normal at all. When you hold the axis bar back, does the blade open and close freely?

If by freely you mean that the blade moves from its own weight when the bar is back then no, it does not move freely. When I hold the axis bar back I have to push the blade the whole swing of the blade from closed to open or open to closed.

That doesn't sound normal at all. When you hold the axis bar back, does the blade open and close freely?

Somethings not right then. If the pivot is as loose as you say, the blade should go from fully opened to fully closed just by holding the axis bar back and rotating your hand or flicking the knife. You shouldn't have to touch the blade at all. I don't know what all could cause that, but I'd guess some sort of washer issue (pinched washer, missing washer, wrong washer, incorrectly installed washers) or some sort of manufacturing flaw (abnormal pivot post or pivot hole in the blade, not enough clearance somewhere).

Ok, that is what I was thinking. One bonus is there is no blade play.. haha.

Guess I'll see about returning it. I don't really want to mess with it and not be able to return it and BM already has my 940 cause the centering was off. They had to fix my mini grip before that. Kind of bored with waiting for my new knives to come back from customer service.

Somethings not right then. If the pivot is as loose as you say, the blade should go from fully opened to fully closed just by holding the axis bar back and rotating your hand or flicking the knife. You shouldn't have to touch the blade at all. I don't know what all could cause that, but I'd guess some sort of washer issue (pinched washer, missing washer, wrong washer, incorrectly installed washers) or some sort of manufacturing flaw (abnormal pivot post or pivot hole in the blade, not enough clearance somewhere).

Lol, just about all of mine get blade play just from barely loosening the pivot, but I like for the blade to open and close freely, so I can live with the blade play. Probably best to just return that one as you said.

Nope, mine moves like its on glass, hold lock bar and it will gravity fall in either direction.

Ok, that is what I was thinking. One bonus is there is no blade play.. haha.

Guess I'll see about returning it. I don't really want to mess with it and not be able to return it and BM already has my 940 cause the centering was off. They had to fix my mini grip before that. Kind of bored with waiting for my new knives to come back from customer service.

You could try cleaning it and adding some lubrication. Is this a brand new knife?

Yep. unless they sent me a used one but I don't see any signs of use.
I've been playing with it pretty much non-stop since getting it and it is very smooth on the flick open but there is so much resistance when holding the lock bar open.
I can hold the lock bar open and get it to flick open and closed but it requires a lot of force and is a little scary with how small the knife is.
Part of me likes this little knife a lot and is starting to look past the stickiness.

You could try cleaning it and adding some lubrication. Is this a brand new knife?

I have had this issue before with a new Benchmade. Was dry as a bone. Little lube and worked it in and it was butter smooth.

Yep. unless they sent me a used one but I don't see any signs of use.
I've been playing with it pretty much non-stop since getting it and it is very smooth on the flick open but there is so much resistance when holding the lock bar open.
I can hold the lock bar open and get it to flick open and closed but it requires a lot of force and is a little scary with how small the knife is.
Part of me likes this little knife a lot and is starting to look past the stickiness.
Have you adjusted the pivot yet?

Not since the first time where I was able to pretty much remove the pivot and the blade stayed extremely stiff. Maybe I'll try messing with it again and see if something changed.
After lube, adjusting the pivot should be quite different. I would not be surprised if it missed getting some oil at the factory.

I put some lube in there and it doesn't seem to have made much of a difference but I haven't had a chance to loosen the pivot yet. I'll give that a shot on Sunday if I get back to my tools.

After lube, adjusting the pivot should be quite different. I would not be surprised if it missed getting some oil at the factory.

Remembers to come back and update.

So after oiling the pivot and playing with the knife for a while I went and loosened the pivot again. This time it did have an effect. The blade is pretty close to swing free with the lock disengaged but now I have a little blade play.
It is a significant improvement over how it came out of the box.

Now I will just have to see if I can dial out blade play and keep it close to swinging free or stick with the tiny amount of blade play.

Remembers to come back and update.

So after oiling the pivot and playing with the knife for a while I went and loosened the pivot again. This time it did have an effect. The blade is pretty close to swing free with the lock disengaged but now I have a little blade play.
It is a significant improvement over how it came out of the box.

Now I will just have to see if I can dial out blade play and keep it close to swinging free or stick with the tiny amount of blade play.
Why is it so important to have the blade swing free? The thumb stud is there for a reason...

I think I use the use the knife as kind of a fidget tool. I enjoy being able to roll my hand back and forth and have the blade open and close.
Kind of silly I suppose.

Why is it so important to have the blade swing free? The thumb stud is there for a reason...

Back