SuperGlue finish question...

I've been working with some scales of redwood burl given me by a friend. It is not stabilized, but is pretty solid and quite beautiful. I have been having good luck with thin superglue as a finish on the wood, but there is residual superglue on the Loveless bolts and exposed full tang. I was looking for tips on removing this glue without disturbing the surrounding finish. So far, I've found 0000 steel wool to be the best solution, but worry about thinning the surrounding finish on the wood. I've been wadding up a small amount of steel wool and gripping with hemostats to keep the abrasive on the metal as much as possible, but it's tedious.

I have not messed with the super glue finishes....yet. But is it possible to keep a qtip handy along with some denatured alcohol/acetone? Just a thought. I don't know what I would do without qtips and solvent when it comes to epoxy and/or truoil getting on the blade/ricasso/areas I don't want it.

Maybe the best solution would be to go ahead and do the SG buildup but remove the excess with acetone on a Q-tip prior to knocking the finish back with 0000 steel wool. I've been building up the finish, then steel wool smoothing it out, then applying white rubbing compound and a wax, bring it back up to a soft luster. It was all the extra rubbing around the inletted metal parts that I was worrying about. If I cleaned them first, there wouldn't be extra abrasion in those areas.

Back