Surefire M2 Centurion

ARtsig1

Banned
I am just a flashlight junkie! Next to knives I just love those lights. I just sold a mint Streamlight Stinger and a mint Surefire 9N. What do I do, I buy a second ASP, gave the other one to my son, and a Surefire M2 Centurion. The Surefire should get here tomorrow if UPS decides I exist (another story). I like the new streamlined shapes of the Surefires and really like the idea of a clip. Anyone out there have one of the M2's? I understand they come with 2 lamps, a 65 lumens and a 120 lumens. How do these stack up with the others? I currently have an older 3 battery model,9P, that beats my rechargeable Mag light in output. How do the pocket clips work as far as making the light easier to carry? I have a cut down leather sheath that I use to carry the ASP, which is a GREAT light. It seems to be a bit more streamlined than the 6P. Guess thats all the questions I have at the moment, sure more will follow when I get the Centurion.

------------------
Art Sigmon
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Php. 4:13

"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword"
Heb. 4:12

[This message has been edited by artsig1 (edited 05-10-2001).]

I was also thinking about ordering a M2 but decided instead to go with a E2. However I still want a M2. I like the idea of a nearly indestructible flashlight. Please post your first impressions and if you can some pics. Did you get one of the new ones with the cooling fins.
Frank Q.

------------------
"The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none."
Thomas Carlyle

Frank,
Hope so. I ordered it from Cutlery Shoppe and just went back to look and they show the style without the fins. Still hope that they have the newer models and that is what I get. If not I will still have a great light and one with a CLIP!
If I can ever get my son to show me how to work the digital camera I will post a pic of a lot of things.
One thing about the M2 is the color. It is not the gunmetal gray but the girl at CS told me it is not black either. Sorta a cross between the two. Hoping it will match my Dozier Buckhunter I just got, since it has a dark gray finish on the titanium handles.
Will let you know what I think. BTW that M6 looks BAD TO THE BONE! Unfortunately looks like I might have to sell some bones to buy it!

------------------
Art Sigmon

"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword"

I have been field-testing proto-types of the new M2 for a while now. The PocketCip has never failed me on my belt.

The new M2 is still currently one of my favourite Flashlights. I have the E2 as well. It's amazing, but then it's not designed to handle quite what the new M2 can. It's ability to isolate the Lamp Module is outstanding. What really sells it over the E2 is the P61 120Lu Lamp Module. Big beam, super bright, brilliant white, perfectly pure - one of the best beams SureFire has to offer I've found.

For the record, the new M2 can be damaged, and so can the Lamp Module. I must stress that the methods used are far from normal levels of abuse. I was pushing further then perhaps any flashlight could handle.

My view is that the new M2 is the best 2 cell DL123A Flashlight currently available. It's the largest I think, but you get the toughest Aluminium Flashlight.

I use the PocketClip, I use the CombatGrip, I use the P61, I use the Shock Absorbing System of the new M2 Bezel. I use the LockOut TailCap, I use the Military Level III Hard Anodising, I will be using it's waterproofness. I have not only field-tested it, I also use it, and I'm buying one for myself.

I'll be happy to answer questions about my field-testing of the new M2.

Al

Regarding the colour of the HA... I think it's called "Millennium Grey".
[Obviously, you can spell "grey" however you like.]

Here's some photos I took:

This shows the size difference between the C2-HA Bezel and the new M2 Bezel:
View

This shows a the new M2 with my Gun Metal E1:
View

This is a group photo of the new M2 with various Millennium Series Flashlights:
View

Finally, the Mighty M6 with two M3T's:
View

Al

WOW!!!AWESOME!!!OUTSTANDING!!!I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!! you spell gray with an "e"? LOL!

No, the lights are indeed awesome. What is the difference between the two Centurion M-2's? I really like the lines on the one you show. The M-2 shown on www.cutleryshoppe.com is the older model, but I thought this was a new model this year and there has already been a style change? Does the older M2 Centurion have the shock absorbing bezel? Last, what is the difference between the pyrex lens and lexan lens? Thanks again for all the info!

BTW, in America it is gray with an "A"
in England it is grey with an "E"

------------------
Art Sigmon

The big brown truck just paid a visit and dropped off my M2 Centurion. On first inspection I must say that this is the "cats meow" I did get the newer version with the cooling fins. The color is a dark gray/green with black clip. I like the pyrex lens as it seems sturdier than the other material. May just be me. Everything about thei light makes it easy to operate. The double o-rings are a nice touch to help with waterproofing the light. The new raised and checkered button on the tailcap is awesome. Just noticed that the tailcap is a different color as it is a gray with no green. Have tried both lamp assemblies and am very impressed with the P61. Talk about light! Any way I grip it it feels great in my hand and the tailcap control is placed just right. Think I really hit the jackpot with this light. Can't wait for the night to creep upon us so I can master it with my M2. I know, corny, but true!

If you are thinking about an M2, I give it "two thumbs up"!

------------------
Art Sigmon

WOW, now I really want a M2. I will have to settle for a E2 for now. At $48 I couldn't resist. Is the M2 too bulky or heavy for daily use.

------------------
"The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none."
Thomas Carlyle

Fq,
The body tube is slightly less than my ASP. I have been using the ASP lately. The head on the M2 is longer and only, again, slightly larger than the ASP. The flats on the M2 may make it a bit easier to carry, I'll find out!
Overall it is only 1/2 to 3/4's of an inch longer. The construction is more detailed with the M2 and there is a difference in the waterproofing that has been done to both. I really like the pyrex lens of the M2 as compared to the lexan on the ASP. More rigid.
I will give a follow up as soon as I have had some time to use it. BTW the packaging on the M2 is nothing short of awesome!

------------------
Art Sigmon

Size15s,
Hope you are well. Have a question to ask. Just received my M2 and noticed I have a gray tailcap while the rest of it is a gray/green. It is a definate two-toner. Have no complaint as I sorta like the look, was just wondering if this is normal. From the pics you posted it looks like yours is all one color.

Art

------------------
Art Sigmon

If you look closely, the Engineering Sample of the new M2 Bezel is dark grey compared to the dark green/brown of the M2 Bodyt and TailCap. This is due to the difficulty in maintaining shading continuity across the many anodisation batches.
SureFire are getting better at it though.

Personally, I want function rather than form.

I find the new M2 very easy and secure to carry on my belt using the "PocketClip". It is bulky compared to other SureFires such as the G2 and E2. Both these flashlight are amazing, but only the M2 offers Shock Isolated Lamp Module and waterproofness as well as the Pyrex Lens.

This lens is very tough. The Pyrex is very thick, and tempered as well as having an Anti-Reflective coating on the inside. Never touch the inside of the Pyrex lens or the Reflectors with anything!

Anyone else have any coloured 12B Hurricanes?
View

Al

Art - the M2 is indeed the cat's meow
smile.gif
I have two of them - an older version retrofitted with the SIB (shock isolating bezel) and a current version. One pulls duty as a vehicle light, the other I carry on a daily basis. Whenever I show it to folks, they are amazed at the amount of light it puts out. The M2 is compact enought to carry comfortably, and big enough to get a comfortable grip. Glad you like yours!

------------------
Proud member: AKTI, NCCKG, NCKK, and SCAK

NC Knife Knuts @ Table 18-B at the Blade Show

Living life on the edge

Back