Recommendation? Surface Grinder Attachment (SGA)

I'm on the hunt for a good SGA. What are most of you guys using? I see a lot of people talking about the TW one. I know that NRT and Black Fox Knife Works are both coming out with their own SGA soon. Wanted to get the best deal I can. So what is y'alls recommendation?

PS. If one of you is selling one then please shoot me a message.

I was looking at the OBM one as well. $1k is a definitely cheaper than the other ones I've seen.

And my grinder is something I built. So if I buy a SGA and it doesn't work perfectly then I have no problem with modifying it or my grinder to work.

Oh, I agree with you on price range. I would have a really HARD time purchasing any of the commercial SGA products. I built my SGA for <$300 or so.

Oh, I agree with you on price range. I would have a really HARD time purchasing any of the commercial SGA products. I built my SGA for <$300 or so.
Will you share how you built yours? I built a pretty intricate belt grinder for my own use and wouldn’t make trying to built a SGA if it helps me save a couple hundred dollars. My grinder still has some things to do before I’m done. Building it at work after hours.
KGmrQff.jpg

SwKAYiM.jpg

lkb9qur.jpg

Below is a fairly long thread (28 pages) with folks talking about the SGA build. OneArmed started the thread and got the whole homebuilt SGA started. You don't have to read the whole thing, but it would be worthwhile if you're planning to build. Maybe it was $400 to build? Don't remember for sure but it's a fraction of cost of commercial system. From the photos of your 2X72 grinder you won't have any problem building the SGA.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/home-built-surface-grinder.1532559/

I looked at building my own for a long time but finally decided to just buy the OBM one...it's actually supposed to be here today! I know I'm gonna have to modify it a bit to get it to work because my grinder uses 1.25" arms...i'm hoping I can just mill the arm down to size and it'll work like that, or just switch it to one of my extra tool arms I have

One issue with using a 1.25 arm on a SGA is rigidity. A surface grinder needs to be rock solid. the 1.5" arms are sufficient, but not overkill.

I agree with Stacy, I recently purchased the OBM SGA and while its a solid piece of equipment, that's a lot weight hanging out there. I requested a 90 duro wheel, and find its working pretty good. Still spend a little time on a granite plate to finish of my flats, but over all much time saved.

I am bumping this post. When I made the post initially I was just looking to get info, as I was saving for a SGA. I am finally to a point where I'm about ready to purchase one. So if anyone has any info to share then that would be great. As any of yall used multiple different of the SGA and how do they compare? I'd love to save some money, but I don't want to cheapout on something as important as an SGA. Also, if someone were selling an SGA or a stand alone surface grinder near me then please let me know.

OBG's SGA is perhaps the least expensive around to buy a commercial SGA, but my next choice I do believe if I had to purchase commercial would be the Reeder SGA linked above. I just like the way Stacy reviewed and and his comments.

OBG's SGA is perhaps the least expensive around to buy a commercial SGA, but my next choice I do believe if I had to purchase commercial would be the Reeder SGA linked above. I just like the way Stacy reviewed and and his comments.

I am interested in it, but I have not heard many things about it good or bad. It doesn't have the features to taper, from what I understand. I'm also afraid that if I get it then I will use it for a while and then be upset with myself for not spending the extra dough on a more versatile SGA.

I have looked into the Reeder one a lot. I really like it. It seems that it is just as good as the TW SGA-1. It is also around the same price range too. I just don't know exactly what all makes them both worth twice the price of the OBM. So im just doing lots of research.

I think I prefer the Reeder over the TW SGA-1 for a couple of reasons. The contact wheel on the Reeder is mounted on the tool arm while the SGA-1 the contact wheel is mounted on a separate tool arm. I think Reeder might have a good idea on the way his magnets are mounted. Understand, I've not personally seen or used either one. Of the 3 you mention I think I like the Reeder best of all. Price wise OBG sure would be tempting.

I remembered the "Off-ON" magnetic switches but had forgotten the "BlackFox" so didn't mention it. I think that might be a good idea. Those type magnets are pretty expensive. The BlackFox included the contact wheel also which helps on the price.

edit: I "think" this is the type of magnetic switch BlackFox uses on the table:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003FWERRC or it might be (150) the next size up with 150 lb holding. They also have a #60 with 60 lb holding power. I'd LOVE to know which Blackfox is using on their SGA.

Last edited:
Back