Surface grinder opinions

I want to start making folders but have been waiting to make a sga for the 2x7. Then this popped up. Seems like it might be a good size for a knife shop and the price seems good.

Any thoughts.

Screenshot_20200620-182420_Kijiji.jpg

I made mine for the 2x72, takes a bit of time, but it works well enough, within .001" when things are done properly. Cost was about $300 to make it. No labor or machining included for this amount, just my time & the materials.

That looks like a nice machine, but I'm wondering about parts, condition & how it runs. It would be a good addition to the shop, but there are always variables with used machinery. If it's local, you can look at it & figure out how it's going to run. If not???

Does the magnetic chuck come with it?
Do all the axes move freely and the handles turn easily?
The chuck does come with it. Add says everything works well. The guy has 6 other adds and everything he has up look really clean and no abused but pics only show so much.

If you can afford it and want to do folders then the stand alone unit is going to give you the precision you want.
I have the Travis Wuertz sga and a stand alone unit and although I use the SGA a lot, the stand alone is much more precise with a stone. Even with a belt conversion the stand alone unit is more precise.
Show up with 5 $100 bills and I bet you leave with a surface grinder.

I'd totally get the stand alone one of I had the space and money.

It's way easier to just leave things set up on your 2x72, and just take a step over to your SG and do what you need to do.

Plus purpose built machines do a better job than ad-hoc solutions. I'm not saying that an SGA does a bad job, just that a stand alone will do a better job.

Is it where you can go look at it? Perhaps run it? 3 ph or 1 ph power required? 3 ph isn't a problem, just use a Chinese VFD for $70 or so bucks. I'm with the other post, if it runs decent and you can take it home for $500, it's a no brainer. Heck, if in decent shape even $700 is a steal.

For folders I would definitely get the stand alone if it's good condition. I would run it first to make sure you can get a good finish and the spindle hasn't lost the bearing pre-load. Also, that chuck isn't fine pole (which is what you really want for thin pieces like blades) but it will probably work.

Home built sga's leave run out near holes and at the edges unless you use a metal contact wheel... Just got some blades back from @JTknives and they are nice and flat using his belt sga!! Pleasantly surprised :) belt also probably won't leave as nice of a finish as a stone and isn't as accurate.

One advantage to a belt is that it's faster though.

Back