1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Surls Patch

Discussion in 'W.A. Surls Knives (formerly WAS Knives)' started by Kalsu, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Kalsu

Kalsu Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Having just purchased the awesome rams horn patch in today's sales thread I was trying to find specs on the knife. Needless to say I am having a hard time finding them. So if anyone can help out here and maybe post up a comparison picture with a Fiddleback Patch or like knife I would greatly appreciate it.

On a somewhat side note, that rams horn looks absolutely amazing. I can't wait to see it in person.

Odaon and Nbrackett like this.
  2. Nbrackett

Nbrackett Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 19, 2015
    About the only thing I can find on here but I know someone will put some comparison pics up soon. Maybe @Luca917 ?

"The new "Patch Knife" is a great EDC and general purpose knife. 3 finger configuration and personally I can get a tight 4 finger hold. OAL is 6 1/2" and a 3" blade."

MTBmonkey and varga49 like this.
  3. Kalsu

Oct 26, 2010
    Nice, thanks! That helps a lot. Now hopefully we can get some pictures here. It sounds like an excellent EDC option.

Nbrackett likes this.
  4. Coach23

Coach23 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 30, 2015
    @Kalsu Congrats on snagging the Patch! I have been intrigued by that pattern for a while as well, just waiting on one with the scales combination I’m looking for. Please let us know what you think about it.

Kalsu and VANCE like this.
  5. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    with a Esquire
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Coach23

Dec 30, 2015
    Man @VANCE thats a beautiful patch! I still kick myself for not trying to snag it when it showed up. IIRC it sat there for a little bit before someone claimed it that Wednesday night(could be wrong on that though, because my CRS is getting worse and worse). That one and @Luca917 Osage one are by far my favorite two Patches made.

Luca917, MTBmonkey and Nbrackett like this.
  7. MTBmonkey

MTBmonkey Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2017
    I am not certain if Allen's Patch pattern may have changed a bit since, but none the less, I remembered this thread that you might be interested in. The whole thing is an outstanding read, but take note of @Odaon 's posts regarding the Surls Patch on pgs 4 & 5. You might find it very interesting!!! :D

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-3-1-2-edc-share.1477680/

Odaon likes this.
  8. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    thanks!
    I snagged this knife on a WAS Wednesday & @Luca917 wanted "dibs" so I passed it along to him...and being the fine man he is ..he gifted it to me at Christmas

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/w-a-surls-08-10-2016.1419927/#post-16371352

Luca917 and Coach23 like this.
  9. Kalsu

Oct 26, 2010
    That is an awesome knife. It looks like the patch should be a great fit for and EDC role. I can't wait to get it in hand.

MTBmonkey likes this.
  10. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Thanks for the shout out MTB! The Patch was definitely the front runner in my EDC comparisons and I got Allen to make me one which rides in my pocket pretty much every day. I'd love to get another in 3/32 with some nice wood scales one day.

You got yourself one sweet knife @Kalsu

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Kalsu

Oct 26, 2010
    @Odaon I just read your review on the patch and all the other knives you reviewed. Excellent write up by the way. I really enjoyed reading it. I will, when time permits, go back and re-read the entire thing.

Thanks, I am really liking the Rams horn handles. By the way what sheath is that you have for your patch? Would a sheath that fits an Esquire fit the Patch?

Odaon likes this.
  12. Luca917

Luca917 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2016
    I am so thrilled to see that knife again! By far the love of my collection - but I wanted you to know how great a friend you've been to us, so I felt you should have it. Glad to see it make an appearance.

And I'm carrying my Osage Patch tonight...travelling to Raleigh to get my boy to a medical appointment and needed my trusty pocket EDC. Showed it off to one of my oldest friends as well.

Great knife!

Kalsu, MTBmonkey, Nbrackett and 3 others like this.
  13. Odaon

Apr 13, 2009
    An Esquire sheath would probably work for the Patch, they're pretty similar. The one I have is a pocket, taco-style sheath that I had made for the Patch by Diomedes. It's perfect. The ambi pocket sheaths would work, I just prefer the smaller profile of the taco sheath.

Kalsu likes this.
  14. Kalsu

Oct 26, 2010
    I like the profile of the sheath a lot. I may have to contact Diomedes and see if they could make a sheath up for me as well. Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Odaon likes this.
  15. Kalsu

Oct 26, 2010
    I just ordered the sheath. Black leather with grey stitching. That should be a pretty epic pair.

Tekton, Odaon, Coach23 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Odaon

Apr 13, 2009
    That's going to look awesome! Looking forward to seeing them together.

Kalsu likes this.
  17. Diomedes Industries

Diomedes Industries Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Working on it this week.

Jason

Kalsu likes this.
  18. Kalsu

Oct 26, 2010
    I have had the sheath for a little bit now. Finally got a little time to get a few pictures of the pair.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Warrior108

Warrior108 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Sweet knife! And that's a nice sheath too.

@Fiddleback Outpost @Diomedes Industries
    Is the sheath one that is regularly available and if so, what is it called on The Outpost?

20. Coach23

Dec 30, 2015
    Dang it, I need a Patch! Especially with Osage over natural/blue:D. Hey @allen456 Any chance one might show up at Blade Show?

MTBmonkey and Tekton like this.