Survival ARCHERY...Thanks jrf!

jrf brought this up in my firearms thread so I thought I'd start this thread giving him credit.

In my firearms thread I mentioned having a backup firearm for hunting as I hunt with both BOW AND Firearms-rifle and handgun. So it is conceivable for me to have a longbow or recurve along.

I feel these bows in practiced hands can be VERY useful in a survival situation. I shoot a bow better than a slingshot for one thing. But the bow doesn't fit in your pocket. Arrows can be made in the woods from natural materials-another benefit. Small game to the largest game in the world can be taken with an appropriate bow/arrow/head combination.

You can use a bow and arrow to take the smallest game with any head: broadhead, blunt, Judo, even a field/target point if necessary. Larger game should ONLY be taken with BROADHEADS and SHARP ones at that.

Fish can even be caught/shot with heavy arrows and a barbed point connected to a line.

Birds can be taken both on the ground and in the air, if you practice enough. Flu-flu's help in this job.

Another benefit to archery is that if you have the time. A "green" bow can be built with only your KNIFE! This takes us to PRIMITIVE archery.

So I feel ARCHERY can be a useful skill and the skills of stalking that you build with it will work with any weapon.

Comments/questions.

------------------
Plainsman :)
primitiveguy@hotmail.com

Plainsman...

You need to get Ron's weapon video..
He shows a few examples of bows,, as well as The Viet Cong Crossbow,, which is my favorite..
Wicked little weapon!
I'd love to make one some day...

ttyle Eric - On/Scene

------------------
Eric E. Noeldechen
On/Scene Tactical
http://www.mnsi.net/~nbtnoel

deleted.

[This message has been edited by jrf (edited 12-26-2000).]

Normark: thanks for the video reference! It appears from what I've been seeing I need to get ALL the videos!
smile.gif
Then I need to try to get in on a class with one or all these guys!!

jrf: no problem. If archery interests you, maybe you should try to find an inexpensive starter bow and "play" a little. It gets addictive!
smile.gif

------------------
primitiveguy@hotmail.com

If wilderness survival and primitive skills interest you...which it must or you wouldn't be here...get Ron and Karen's tapes. They are the best subject matter VHS material on the market. I highly recommend them! Ways to learn: Read it, see it, do it.

------------------
Greg Davenport
http://www.ssurvival.com
Are You Ready For The Challenge?
Are You Ready To Learn The Art Of Wilderness Survival?

GREG: Yep! Primitive skills I feel is the backbone for somebody who thinks they may be thrown into a survival situation. If you have the basics in your mind and have trained your appendages to perform them then you are ahead of the game. Any items you have with you will then be that "icing on the cake" that makes the experience more tolerable.

Thanks!

------------------
primitiveguy@hotmail.com

As a sidenote: I keep one or two TWO BLADE GLUE ON BROADHEADS in covers in some of my larger survival kits. Hence, I can make field expedient arrows or lightweight throwing spears in the field and have sharp steel heads right away!!

Just an idea for others to ponder as well!

------------------
primitiveguy@hotmail.com

I found that if I cut a round of leather, punch a hole in the center and slip it behind a broadhead it works as good as any purchased tool to keep an arrow from passing thru a turkey. It slides up the shaft, slowing the arrow and helps keep the bird from escaping.

Back