"Survival Blanket"???

Are these "survival blankets" any good?
I refer to these thin blankets that fold down to pocket size and look like plastic "aluminium foil".

Hi Costas...

Yes they can be very good to stop heat loss.

The trick to them though it to wrap it tightly around yourself as much as possible...

There are now bags made of this material you can crawl right into.They do have their drawbacks though, one of them being that they rip faily easily..

I would go out on a limb so to speak and say I Think,,that a couple of heavy duty garbage bags are more effective than the space blankets, as they will trap more air.

The space blanket has many uses though not only as a survival blanket...

Hope this helps...

Eric,,,

------------------
Eric E. Noeldechen
On/Scene Tactical
http://www.mnsi.net/~nbtnoel
Custom made, High Quality
Concealex Sheaths and Tool Holsters
Canada's Only Custom Concealex Shop!

They make a quick lean-to rain shelter as long as you have enough support poles under them. Gather a smooth pebble up in the corner and tie your cordage around this to hold it up.

Build a fire and firewall out in front, and the stuff reflects the heat pretty good -if it doesn't melt around you
smile.gif

They won't last long, and if the wind's blowing....watch out.

For the 2 bucks or so that you pay for them, and their lightweight, it's easy to keep 3 or 4 in your kit.

Nothing beat a military ponhco for improvised shelter or blanket, in my opinion. Rocks heated in a fire, or a few coals placed on the ground and then squatting over this with your poncho spread out to trap the heat will warm you up quickly. Be careful not to burn your ass, or your poncho though.

I also agree with Normark, contractor's grade trash bags are one of the best survival secrets yet - ground cloths, improvised shelter, improvised PFDs placed inside your pack, solar stills, water bags, ponchos, something to smother your mother-in-law with and place the body in...the list is endless.

------------------
Randall's Adventure & Training
jeff@jungletraining.com

I have to agree with the heavy duty garbage bags. This brings up the question of whether I've missed something with "pocket sized" survival blankets. Are there any tough ones? The only ones I've ever seen that are small are very flimsy.

Jimbo

The survival blankets I've used are stronger than they look. They are made from polyester (Mylar) rather than polyethelene (trash can liners). This not only is stronger than polyethelene, it is also more heat resistant. They came out of the space program where the original design was for very lightweight solar reflectors. The reflective effect comes from a very thin coating (sort of like a plating) of aluminum. Since they are reflective they are non-radiative. This means that your body doesn't lose much heat through radiation when you use them. I keep one in my pack as a body wrap or heat reflector.

I also like to carry a 12' by 12' plastic drop cloth for emergency shelter. The garbage bag I use as an emergency poncho. Just cut a head hole in the middle of the bottom and it really keeps out the rain.

[This message has been edited by Jeff Clark (edited 02-03-2000).]

I have used the Space Blanket type cover but taped together so it forms a sort of sleeping bag. Surprisingly it doesn't seem to rip, but it is a pain to refold. It didn't work too well for me, but a gave a spare to a friend on a trip in the NWT and as a supplement for his sleeping bag he said it worked very well. As an emergency bag if you're wet and cold, I'm sure it's helpful. I keep one in the car and I take at least one on whitewater and kayaking trips, but I rarely use them.

Back