1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

survival knife combos

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by psy-ops, Nov 17, 2002.

1. psy-ops

psy-ops

Sep 27, 1999
    over the years I have tried a ton of combos, I have traded and traded and retraded till I have just the right combos.

combo #1. Around town: Delica right hand pocket, quick blade uitlity light SD, Leatherman supertool all purpose utility tools etc, SAK ambassador on key chain toothpick, scissors, nail file, small blade. This set up pretty much covers my day to day cutting chores and any tough situations that are thrown my way.

combo #2. Urban travel: occaissionally I go to a city: Delica Spydie endura left hand pocket covers my self defense needs,leatherman super tool

combo #3-a. Hiking backwoods: SAK trailmaster when I go light SAK ambassador personal grooming needs!

combo #3-b. Hiking backwoods: Cold steel master hunter, leatherman supertool and SAk super tinker

combo #4. backwoods for awhile and road trips : Tramontina machete, cold steel master hunter, SAK super tinker and leatherman super tool.

2. Jim Craig

Jim Craig

Jan 22, 2002
    In town: SAK tinker, Starmate
    work: Outdoor edge Magna, LM Supertool
    Camping: SAK Rucksack, Supertool, Fallkniven WM1 neck, Bill Buxton Custom fixed blade 5" blade
    Hunting: Buxton, Dozier Pro Skinner, Marbles Northwoods Big Game Skinner, Schrade stockman, WM1, Sak tinker or rucksak.

Better to have and not need than need and not have.

3. longbow50

longbow50

Jul 12, 2002
    For my constant, everyday companions I carry a leatherman on my belt, a CRKT Apache II in my pocket and a keychain Victorinox SAK, whistle, P-38 and maglite solitare in my other pocket. For short hikes, I add a small Buck fixed blade on my belt. For longer Wilderness treks, I strap on my Becker CU/7 that also has a mini kit with another SAK. Our vehicle emergency kit has a Camillus USAF survival knife and a good hand ax. If I'm packing in, I carry my usual, the Becker and add a WWII khukuri to my belt.

4. allenC

allenC

Jun 18, 2000
    Like you, I have altered my combinations many times over the years, but this seems to be my latest combos.

Around towns and cities and when traveling:
    A one-hander (Gerber Air Ranger, Benchmade 555, or CRKT Bladelock) and either a Wenger Serrated Backpacker or Wenger Handyman, or a Victorinox Electrican and Leatherman Micra.

At work:
    Just a Victorinox Cadet or a Wenger Standard Issue.

In the woods:
    The same as above, and sometimes an Ontario 12" machete, and sometimes Fiskars pruning shears (the shears come in handy more than you might think).

BTW, the car has a fairly complete tool-kit and a Leatherman PST and an old Army issue entrenching tool.
    And I usually have my .38 revolver in the car too.

Good luck,
    Allen.

5. OwenM

OwenM

Oct 26, 2000
    The "main knife" rotates fairly often, and is always a 3.5-4" folder, or a 3.5-4.5" fixed blade, but right now:
    Always:
    DDR CF ArcLite-necker
    Vnox Classic-keyring

At work:
    Vnox Recruit-pocket
    Leatherman PST (broke my Wave the other night-probably getting a ST tomorrow)-in a double pouch with a SureFire E2e/KL1 on the belt
    Strider MFS-belt

Away from work:
    Same stuff, but the Leatherman stays in my truck, and the flashlight gets clipped in my left pocket

About to hit the woods for 3-4 days. A Vnox Outrider will replace the Leatherman tool, and there'll be a GB Wildlife Hatchet on my pack.

6. Eric_Draven

Eric_Draven Banned by Moderators Banned

Aug 16, 2002
    [​IMG]

7. Charlie Fox

Charlie Fox

Oct 3, 2000
    I pretty much carry the same thing all the time...with the exception of going to the airport or some other "sheeple friendly" place:barf:

Commonly I have the following onboard:

50/50 Endura (ALWAYS)
    A medium size SAK - Recruit or Super Tinker
    Leatherman Wave or, more recently, a Swiss Tool

If I'm heading out into the woods I'll add a 12" machete I bought from Brigade Quartermasters about a decade ago.

8. Hoodoo

Hoodoo

Aug 18, 1999
    How about a Scandanavian combo?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. longbow50

longbow50

Jul 12, 2002
    Hoodoo, where'd you get that good looking combo? That's something I'd sure like to add to my Christmas list.

10. Hoodoo

Hoodoo

Aug 18, 1999
  11. longbow50

longbow50

Jul 12, 2002
    Thanks for the info.

12. Paintedhorse

Paintedhorse

Sep 11, 2002
    In town, work : SAK (always in pocket) + Puukko and/or strong lockback (in pocket coat or in small backpack or in funny pack)

On trail : same as above + Coldsteel scout recon (in backpack) if axe is not necessary (or both)

PS. Hoodoo, your scandinavian combo is really really great,this is what I call BLADES the only thing I'll say is that I 'll prefer separated sheath.But what blades!!!!

13. BoyNhisDog

BoyNhisDog

Oct 9, 2001
    I really like the combo that Hoodoo has and you can get them with seperate sheaths. I liked his so much I ordered some of my own and they are the sharpest knives I own. Those Finns are obsessive about their edges. This is one of my favorite pair of knives now.

Another combo I have come to like is to choose either the Sable IV or the Sable III and pair it up with a large or small Sebenza. These are tough knives with an edge.

[​IMG]

14. Jim Craig

Jim Craig

Jan 22, 2002
    Hoodoo, what is that combo called?

Boynhisdog, what do you have on the sable handles?

15. jefroman

jefroman

May 17, 2001
    In Town: Spyderco VG-10 Delica, LM Micra, Keys with ARC AAA, LM PST, Fisher Bulllet Pen
    In the Woods: Spyderco VG-10 Delica, LM PST, MiniMag AA, Gransfors Wildlife Hatchet.

Jeff

16. BoyNhisDog

BoyNhisDog

Oct 9, 2001
  17. batfam

batfam

Jul 20, 2002
    Great thread!

Everyday: SAK Super Tinker on the hip and Benchmade Stryker in the front pocket.

Flying missions: Benchmade Ascent in the upper right flight suit pocket, Gerber Guardian Backup Boot knife, on left boot, ATC Vietnam Tactical Tomahawk in the helmet bag, and Gerber multi tool in the pubs bag, and Beretta M9. I am completely covered for every scenario.

I dig the Scandinavian Combo too!

18. Tightwad

Tightwad

Jul 22, 2001
    As a point of interest.......

The March 2003 issue of Tactical Knives has an
    editorial and an artical on this very subject.
    What they point out is that thin bladed butcher
    knife and a leatherman will do a woodsman very
    nicley. Throw in an ax/hatchet and you're good
    to go ...if... you have basic woodsmans skills.

Knida funny in a way really.....you only really
    need very simple tools to survive when all the
    hype is removed:rolleyes:

19. Hoodoo

Hoodoo

Aug 18, 1999