1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Survival Rifle NON AUTO TYPE

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by j man, Aug 7, 2010.

1. j man

j man

Aug 1, 2010
    Thinking of geting a Ruger ss old boat paddle stocked bolt rifle. maybe in 308 for a survival type firearm.
    Any sugestions?

2. Cpl Punishment

Cpl Punishment

Jan 28, 2006
    What do you mean "boat paddle" stock? A Mannlicher style stock (lower stock goes all the way to the end of the barrel)?

Ruger makes some really tough guns.

Living in Tasmania, I'd jump on an AIA M10 No Mk4 Enfield that's chambered in .308, based on the No4 Enfield rifles, but uses M14 magazines (using a 10 round magazine, you keep the good balance of the Enfield.

http://www.australianinternationalarms.com.au/
    [​IMG]

Failing that, I'd go with an actual No4 Enfield.

Military rifles are built to take more of a beating than commercial models.

3. DennisStrickland

DennisStrickland Banned BANNED

Jun 24, 2009
    i've been happy with my h&r single shot 270. break down is one screw. with scope i'm getting 1 in. groups at 100 meters.whole package about 360.00

4. Bill Siegle

Bill Siegle KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 3, 2000
    I like my Ruger Frontier in .243. It is Ruger's version of the Scout Rifle. Mine has a Leupold 2.5 Scout Scope up top and it really works for me. Nice general purpose rifle for my area. It is available in .308 too :)

5. j man

j man

Aug 1, 2010
    Hi i have a no4 mk1/2 303.
    Want some thing light that bounces well.
    Nice rifle the AIA ,thinking of getting one for target work.

6. j man

j man

Aug 1, 2010
    I got it . Jungle carbine. i have the remains of one, could turn the no4 m1/2 in to one ??

7. ROCK6

ROCK6

Feb 8, 2004
    I really depends on your location and needs. For me, if it wasn't a .22LR, I would opt for my single shot 20 guage for light and small.

ROCK6

8. DennisStrickland

DennisStrickland Banned BANNED

Jun 24, 2009
    the enfield probably shares the distinction with the browning hi- power as the most wide spread gun in the world.dennis

9. Les Snyder

Les Snyder

Jul 6, 2010
    not sure exactly what you are looking for, but for hunting game, Savage makes (or made) a variety of over/under combinations...22lr/410 to 30-30/20ga depending on your critter du jour... I had one of the compact 22lr/20ga combos and foolishly sold it... regards Les

10. Mannlicher

Mannlicher

Nov 19, 2008
    I'd look at one of those H&R single shots. There are many different caliber barrels available, and the extras are inexpensive.

11. fixer

fixer Banned BANNED

Mar 9, 2000
    i'm not sure if semis are available in your location or not.

but one advantage with a semi auto is that it's easier to operate if one hand is injured.

one limitation with the Rugers is that they only take Ruger scope rings. there are adapters available, but it seems like that's just adding more parts that could come loose.

finally, Ruger has a reputation for not selling spare parts for most things unless you send it in for them to "fit" the parts.

12. Sid Post

Sid Post

Oct 14, 1998
    In your part of the world, wouldn't a good Enfield be the one to get?

Ruger makes a good rifle but, a Reminton or Winchester will be easier to service and support so far from the USA.

13. shooter10

shooter10

Mar 8, 2007
    In my opinion, Les Snyder has the best idea for a true survival firearm. Many of you may not be aware of it, but during the WW 2 time period, the U.S. Army Air Corps issued an over under, most chambered for .410 and .22 Hornet for survival purposes. I have never seen one, but hear of others with .22 and the little shot shells.
    Many years ago, I purchased a Savage 24, with .22 long rifle, and .410. When my boys were introduced to firearms shooting, I cut the stock off, added a recoil pad, and they learned to shoot with that. Since then, the critters seem to have multiplied, as today I have a .22 Mag/ 20 gauge, a .222/ 20 gauge, a .357/ 20 gauge, a 30 30/20 gauige, and last was a .17/20 gauge.
    Each and every one has a low power scope, and while not pretty to hang on the wall for admiring looks by guests, the rifle barrels seem to benefit from the larger diameter shotgun barrel, making a very stiff and usually very acurate combo. I can not think of any single firearm with more utility, and they are not that expensive. Again, I hear of, but have never seen one, there is supposed to be a .308 chambered over a 12 gauge, which would also fill a niche.

14. Iron City

Iron City Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Just to give another opinion... Marlin lever gun (30-30, or 45-70),

Compact and reliable.

15. spoolup

spoolup

Apr 27, 2007
    THIS. I have shot my fair share of levers, but never owned one.. until last week, which I now own 3.

First is a Marlin 336SDG (30-30, 16" barrel 5shot tube, SS). Bought it on gunbroker and had my FFL do his business, then when I picked it up, I was filling out the paperwork and seen a shiny large loop staring at me from 4 deep behind the counter, asked if it was the 1895SBL (45-70, big loop, 18" 6 shot tube, SS), dealer said yup, he was thinking of buying it, asked if he would mind if I did, said nope feel free... so I bought that one too. Then I was picking up some 45-70 and 454 ammo Friday and just joking asked the dealer how hard it would be to get a Puma 92 in 454, he laughed and said much harder now, the guy next to him said, actually we have one in back, we both look at him like he was on drugs, off he goes and out he returns. Yup, they had one, put 200 down will pick it up Thursday with the other 220 I owe on it. Still want a Marlin 39, and maybe a 357. Just so you know 8-5-10 Marlin in New Haven CT closed its doors and moved to KY or NY depending on bolt/ lever action. QC issues are already being noticed, sad since they guys and gals in CT KNEW what was going on with these rifles. Only time will tell what will happen. Here is the 2 Marlins, will be taking them and the 454 out Friday... Cant wait. It however, WAS an expensive week for me. Still want to put some glass on the 45-70 on top, thinking a 1.75-6 Leupold VX3.

If you never shot a lever, give it a try... things are a blast, accurate, rugged, and can take dam near anything, also being dual chambered like revolvers helps, IE the 357 can also shoot 38spl, the 454 I just bought can also shoot 45LC just like my Alaskan.

[​IMG]

16. MORIMOTOM

MORIMOTOM

Oct 29, 2005

:confused:

are you talking to yourself?

17. shaving sharp

shaving sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2007
    I own a stainless Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun lever action with laminated stock.If you are looking for a gun that will get you there and back I would take a serious look at one.Garrett and Buffalo Bore make hard cast ammo that can take just about any game you would need to put down (including brown bear) except maybe elephant and rino.Here is a photo of a brown taken with their ammo by this young kid in alaska with a guide gun.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  18. BrewCity59

BrewCity59

May 2, 2010
    Agree on the lever guns. Can't go wrong with a Winchester 94 or a Marlin in 30-30.

19. hung-solo

hung-solo Banned BANNED

Jun 11, 2009
    no need in the 45-70.. .35 remington is where its at. i use mine from deer hunting to bear hunting. its a lil stronger than a 30-30 and slightly less than a 45-70 and cheaper to shoot than a 45-70 as well.. used to have a .444 magnum lever action dont get me started on that lol :D

yes they are compact and very reliable. do not put a scope on a lever action rifle. its a bush gun not a long distance plinker. that being said i bought my 35 remington used and it had a muzzle loader scope mounted on it. its not bad and its accurate but still... its a bush gun. many folks forget about that

20. cliff355

cliff355

Apr 19, 2003